1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I install USB 2.0 or 3.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exceller, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Running XP Pro with SP3, Desktop.

Is there any problem in installing a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 pci card into my motherboard.

Its a Foxconn 600A01 Series with a AMD 2.17GHz CPU and 1.5G ram.

It has 2 onboard USB ports, but system tells to upgrade to USB 2.0 for faster speed when such as downloading images from my camera etc. I have already a firewire(1394) pci card fitted and a spare pci slot.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If you have an open PCI slot on the motherboard, then yes install a USB 2.0 "High Speed" card.

No need to go 3.0, it is a new standard and few devices are available for it, probably very expensive also.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There is also the matter that the PCI bus on your motherboard supports data rates up to 127.2 Megabytes-per-second. The USB 3.0 standard supports data rates up to 4.8 Gigabits (~ 600 Megabytes) per second.

Even if you could find a USB 3.0 PCI card, it would not be able transfer continuous data at the full bandwidth of even one USB 3.0 port.

4. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

Updated the driver for the onboard USB and it seem all OK. The system does not suggest upgrading to USB 2.0 now.

Point taken with USB 3.0, thanks.

On a different subject, as Firewire is faster, which I use for downloading from my Camcorder, could I use this for transferring data between 2 pc's rather than via network cable.

thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice