Solved: Can I install USB 2.0 or 3.0

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

exceller

Running XP Pro with SP3, Desktop.

Is there any problem in installing a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 pci card into my motherboard.

Its a Foxconn 600A01 Series with a AMD 2.17GHz CPU and 1.5G ram.

It has 2 onboard USB ports, but system tells to upgrade to USB 2.0 for faster speed when such as downloading images from my camera etc. I have already a firewire(1394) pci card fitted and a spare pci slot.

If you have an open PCI slot on the motherboard, then yes install a USB 2.0 "High Speed" card.

No need to go 3.0, it is a new standard and few devices are available for it, probably very expensive also.

cwwozniak

Chuck
There is also the matter that the PCI bus on your motherboard supports data rates up to 127.2 Megabytes-per-second. The USB 3.0 standard supports data rates up to 4.8 Gigabits (~ 600 Megabytes) per second.

Even if you could find a USB 3.0 PCI card, it would not be able transfer continuous data at the full bandwidth of even one USB 3.0 port.

exceller

Thanks Guys,

Updated the driver for the onboard USB and it seem all OK. The system does not suggest upgrading to USB 2.0 now.

Point taken with USB 3.0, thanks.

On a different subject, as Firewire is faster, which I use for downloading from my Camcorder, could I use this for transferring data between 2 pc's rather than via network cable.

thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online