1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can I know my PC's Memory manufacturer without opening the case?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aaa3788, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aaa3788

aaa3788 Thread Starter

I want to buy a new memory 1 GB and know nothing about hardware. so I wanna make sure that the new memory that I'm gonna buy is from the same manufactoer and the same details of the old one but 1 GB (like DDR or whatever..I have no idea what DDR means) ...I want to add new 1GB to the old one 500MB, so there will be 1.5 GB

How can I know my PC's Memory manufacturer and other details without opening the case?

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

3. aaa3788

aaa3788 Thread Starter

Thanks loserOlimbs ... it's good to know it's DDR... but it didn't give me the name manufacturer.

Attached Files:

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

you could copy and paste the part # into Google. Looks like it is some offbrand stick though.

Best bet is to try crucial and look for something compatible with the Motherboard if google doesn't return any hits.

5. oo0 nothing 0oo

oo0 nothing 0oo

it doesnt necessarily have to be the same manufacturer, as long as it is the same kind for example; DDR PC 2700 512MB. Another site to check it would be :

http://www.crucial.com

They'll tell you exactly what kind of memory you need, max memory allowed per slot, max memory for your system and all you have to do is write down the info and take it to a local store that sells memory. Just click the button that says 'scan my computer' (Oh, and btw, DDR = Double Data Rate).

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Not always true, but mostly.

Some Mobos don't agree with certain brands of RAM, for no other reason than the Brand name!

There are also small differences in RAM that is not noted until the system won't boot. Like chip density, or voltage differences at stock speeds.

7. oo0 nothing 0oo

oo0 nothing 0oo

I've always disliked proprietary systems. lol

Would that pertain more to customizers? or just the average upgrader?

8. aaa3788

aaa3788 Thread Starter

I took that test, but it didn't say much about memory manufacturer.

Attached Files:

9. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Average upgrader, especially on performance RAM like OCZ or Mushkin, where they sell RAM that draws 2.7v or so stock rather than the DDR standard, which wreaks havoc on some systems.

10. stantley

stantley

SIW will tell you the manufacturer. It's free and you don't need to install it.

11. aaa3788

aaa3788 Thread Starter

I spoke to crucial.com live chat, and they recommand this one for my computer.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=1091B41BA5CA7304
    I also told them that I want the new one 1GB to be compatible with the old one 500MB, they said that it should have the same speed and frequency.

They told me to just pay attention to DDR-400(also referred as PC 3200) no matter what brand/manufacturer.
    When I took the test at their website, the test results did not include any thing about DDR-400, but the agent of LIVE CHAT asked me for the scan ID and he told me that he can see more details and that's how he knows that it should be DDR-400.

So just the DDR-400? no other specifications?

12. Wogus

Wogus

Bingo. SIW will tell you more than you want to know about just about anything on your PC.

13. aaa3788

aaa3788 Thread Starter

This software shows more information and confirms what "crucial.com live chat agent" said about DDR-400(PC-3200) though it didn’t say any thing about the manufacturer.

so this choice is good..right?
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=1091B41BA5CA7304

Attached Files:

14. stantley

stantley

I'm not sure why the manufacturer info doesn't show up but yes it looks like the memory in that link you provided should work fine.

15. vicks

vicks

try going to www.belarc.com and see if their program will identify it for you. It usually will tell you everything on a computer when it is installed and run. It is free. Have used it for 5+ years with no problems.
    vicks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!