Solved: Can I make a backup copy of my Windows 7 OS using copy/paste?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hhannam

First Name
Dick
I just purchased a pre-owned Lenovo T420 laptop with Windows 7, but amazingly, over these many years, I've never had to back up my OS before because someone (my tech guy mostly) had always done it for me. Anyhow, while I do intend to make a full system backup copy, which I have no doubt will include the Windows 7 OS, I would also like to create a backup (disk) copy of my OS only since no install disks came with the computer. I can load the Windows 7 OS onto an 80Mb CD, but the entire hard disk backup will take many gigabytes and I intend to use a 32 Gb flash drive for that purpose.

My first and essential question is, can I create a Windows 7 Pro "restore" disk by just copying and pasting the entire "Windows" file on my hard drive to a CD or Flash drive...or is there more to it than that?

When I started to create a backup copy of the entire disk using the Windows backup program, I took particular notice to the
fact that (after I selected the custom selection option rather than the automatic selection for which files to copy) that the Windows file was no longer listed on the "C" drive menu provided in the backup program. It is certainly listed on my "C" drive when I bring it up directly, so can anyone explain to me quickly what that's all about?

hhannam

First Name
Dick
no you cannot do that, you can make an image copy of the PC OR
you should be able to create recovery media DVDs which will return the PC to the factory condition
some manufacturers HP only allow one copy to be made - not sure about lenovo

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-4M7HWZ
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome...ecovery-Disc-with-OneKey-Recovery/ta-p/274167
Wayne~

I think what you are saying is that, no, I cannot copy and paste the Windows file to create an OS restore disk. Are you also saying that I have to make a backup copy of the entire hard disk in order to be able to restore the Windows 7 operating system......if the system allows it?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
If no one has yet created a set of Recovery DVDs (or CDs) from the Recovery partition then you can create a set now.

Or you can create an image of the partition(s) needed to "restore" the system to the way it is now. For that I use Macrium Reflect Free, many members here like Acronis, there are many more both free and for-pay, and there is even something built in to Windows 7.

hhannam

First Name
Dick
If no one has yet created a set of Recovery DVDs (or CDs) from the Recovery partition then you can create a set now.

Or you can create an image of the partition(s) needed to "restore" the system to the way it is now. For that I use Macrium Reflect Free, many members here like Acronis, there are many more both free and for-pay, and there is even something built in to Windows 7.
.....................................................................................................................................................................

Obviously there's a difference between a "recovery" backup and a restore/image backup. I certainly need to do some more reading to clarify my comprehension of the differences between them. I also hope I'll be able to use a 32 Gb flash drive rather than a bunch of CDs.. Thanks for your help and recommendations for programs.

Consider DVDs instead of CDs.

I use Acronis True Image 11 to clone my HDD.

If you decide to use Acronis, be sure to read hte FAQs & Knowledge Base. When cloning a laptop HDD, you need to connect the original HDD as an external and the destination to the laptop's internal connections.

The advantage of using Acronis for cloning is that even if the computer dies [ motherboard failure for example ] you can access your data files from the destination clone.

RF123

RF123

hhannam

First Name
Dick
Consider DVDs instead of CDs.

I use Acronis True Image 11 to clone my HDD.

If you decide to use Acronis, be sure to read hte FAQs & Knowledge Base. When cloning a laptop HDD, you need to connect the original HDD as an external and the destination to the laptop's internal connections.

The advantage of using Acronis for cloning is that even if the computer dies [ motherboard failure for example ] you can access your data files from the destination clone.

RF123

Is there a reason that no one in this posting seems inclined to give a positive nod to my repeated suggestion of wanting to use a 32 Gb flash drive? Is that an unacceptable medium for this purpose, or perhaps just not as preferable as a disk?

Dear DicK:
I see you have marked this solved, what did you decide on?

Is there a reason that no one in this posting seems inclined to give a positive nod to my repeated suggestion of wanting to use a 32 Gb flash drive? Is that an unacceptable medium for this purpose, or perhaps just not as preferable as a disk?
I haven't tried a flash drive.

Let us know how that goes.

RF123

etaf

First Name
Wayne
you will need to create a bootable flash drive to use as a factory reset.
the flash drives can become corrupt quite easily
the PC would also need to have a USB boot option in the bios to support a bootable USB device

I would suggest you create the DVDs from the recovery partition as I and TerryNet suggested - you may only need 3 or 4 DVDs - I always suggest having at least 6 available to use

you could also do the image copy

The Recovery Media you make via the DVDs will enable you to take the laptop back to the condition it was in when it first came out the box new
There will be no data (although you often get an option to save your data) none of the programs you installed will be on the PC
The advantage of an image copy is that it will save all the programs and settings you have put on the PC since opening the box (or in your case the previous owner)
As i said - some manufacturers only allow for one copy of the recovery DVDs to be made HP do that , so if the previous owner created them and did not give them to you, you may not be able to make them.

i have used Recovery DVDs numerous times on peoples PCs when the machine will not start or other software issue - so would never be without a copy , and first thing I do with any clients , is make sure they have a startup CD and a recovery set of cds

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Is there a reason that no one in this posting seems inclined to give a positive nod to my repeated suggestion of wanting to use a 32 Gb flash drive?
In addition to what Wayne described it is doubtful that the OEM's utility to create Recovery disks supports USB flash drives, and not all imaging programs support USB flash drives. I, for one, do not know which ones do.

hhannam

First Name
Dick
I see you have marked this solved, what did you decide on?
I'll probably get some DVDs to do my backups, and do both recovery and restore copies. As for which program I'm going to use for the process I have some homework to do yet.

hhannam

First Name
Dick
In addition to what Wayne described it is doubtful that the OEM's utility to create Recovery disks supports USB flash drives, and not all imaging programs support USB flash drives. I, for one, do not know which ones do.
Thanks for your input. I've decided to go with DVDs instead of the flash drive.

hhannam

First Name
Dick
I truly appreciate your thorough reply. I will definitely get some DVDs and make both types of backup copies instead of just one or the other. Once again, you folks have come to my rescue and I'm very grateful.

you will need to create a bootable flash drive to use as a factory reset.
the flash drives can become corrupt quite easily
the PC would also need to have a USB boot option in the bios to support a bootable USB device

I would suggest you create the DVDs from the recovery partition as I and TerryNet suggested - you may only need 3 or 4 DVDs - I always suggest having at least 6 available to use

you could also do the image copy

The Recovery Media you make via the DVDs will enable you to take the laptop back to the condition it was in when it first came out the box new
There will be no data (although you often get an option to save your data) none of the programs you installed will be on the PC
The advantage of an image copy is that it will save all the programs and settings you have put on the PC since opening the box (or in your case the previous owner)
As i said - some manufacturers only allow for one copy of the recovery DVDs to be made HP do that , so if the previous owner created them and did not give them to you, you may not be able to make them.

i have used Recovery DVDs numerous times on peoples PCs when the machine will not start or other software issue - so would never be without a copy , and first thing I do with any clients , is make sure they have a startup CD and a recovery set of cds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online