1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I put a PCI eSATA card in my P4 IDE setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paj692, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paj692

paj692 Thread Starter

I'm using WinXP Pro w/ sp3 and have a 2.4Ghz P4 with 2 IDE controllers and no raid in the CMOs/BIOS (as far as I know) and definately no SATA controller on the mobo. My brother says it won't work without SATA/RAID in the BIOS. Is that right? The only requirements in the ad for the 1.5Mbs PCI (not PCIe) card are; P4 CPU and Windows XP (among other OSs). The benefit of anyone's experience who has tried this (successfully or not) or anyone who is 100% sure it won't work is appreciated. Please explain (but keep it simple, I'm not really a geek ;))

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I think you are looking at sata 1 and not eSata for 1.5 Mbs.
    A pci sata/raid card will contain it's own BIOS routine.so
    should run as long as you have an open PCI slot.
    There will be a second,small bios screen displayed for it
    after the normal boot screen.

3. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

you can put a PCI card with e-SATA in, its only a card, it has all the information on the card to run without needing many drivers, you might be asked to install some drivers but other than that, its like installing any other PCI card

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What are you attempting to use, sata or esata? They are not the same thing. Note there are cards that have both connectors like this siig card

5. paj692

paj692 Thread Starter

The ad says it's an eSATA PCI card, which the picture backs up. It is for connecting external hard drives (eSATA) and doesn't appear to have any internal connectors for the onboard SATA (which mine doesn't have).
    From the ad:

2 Port eSATA PCI Card

Adds two external 150MB/sec SATA (eSATA) ports to your PCI equipped desktop computer
    Set up as two independent drives or as RAID 0 or RAID 1
    Breaks the 137GB barrier! Supports various brands of large capacity Serial ATA hard drives

Attached Files:

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can install the card however you do understand that you would need an external housing to connect esata to that card correct?

That is why I asked you what are you attempting to use ie connect to the card; sata or esata?

7. paj692

paj692 Thread Starter

I don't have one yet. I can buy a $23 card to connect one, but thought
    I better check out whether it's possible before buying an external SATA
    300Gb-1Tb hard drive for $100-300. Is there such a thing as an eSATA
    hard drive enclosure? What's the difference between that and a SATA
    hard drive enclosure? TIA paj692 :confused:

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

eSATA is and external sata connection and
    a SATA enclosure is usually a USB or firewire connection.
    Here are some eSata enclosures.
    eSata enclosures.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One word of advise; do not buy a cheap controller card. It will cause you all kinds of problems.
    Both pci and pci-e cards are available. With your system, you will need the pci card so be careful which one you select.

10. paj692

paj692 Thread Starter

I bought a Sil 3512 SATALink controller (PCI) a 6' eSATA cable and a
    SAMSUNG HD103UJ SCSI Disk Device (External 1.0TB USB2/Firewire/eSATA)
    Hard Drive with enclosure. It worked right away on my system even though it has no SATA
    in the BIOS or Motherboard. The PCI eSATA controller has it's own BIOS and it worked,
    but I did need the driver disk (it came with) to install the hardware in Windows.
    Thanks guys, for the advice and happy computing! paj692:D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice