1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I remove desktop.ini?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dmcclure, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcclure

dmcclure Thread Starter

All of sudden I have two icons on my Vista desktop labled desktop.ini. They both seem to have been created at the same time on 9/12 but they are different sizes (282 bytes vs 174 bytes). Can I safely delete these files?

Don

2. towens309

towens309

Desktop.ini is used to tell Windows how to display a folder. For example, enabling Thumbnail view creates a desktop.ini file in that folder which amongst other things, tells Windows to add an extra item to the View menu for that folder. Desktop.ini files are also used when you customize folders, change their icons etc.

3. towens309

towens309

Questions did you recently change a setting to view hidden files? If so unselecting this feature should correct seeing these items on the desktop.

4. dmcclure

dmcclure Thread Starter

As a matter of fact, I did make the change to view hidden files. I think it is bizarre that this makes this kind of file show up on the desktop! Welcome to the wonderufl world of Vista. I have always enabled hidden file viewing since Windows 3.1 and never seen this. I have a love-hate relationship with Vista!!!

5. supportpros

supportpros

Yeah i find it irritating too. I just drag it to the bottom right hand corner and forget about it.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Dave Trusted Advisor

I delete them. But I don't customise individual folders.

7. towens309

towens309

try to rehide the hidden files and see if that doesn't streighten things back out

8. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

These "ini" files have been around since at least Windows 98. One will find one at the root of every folder.

They are NOT hidden when one selects the "Hide protected operating systems" entry is cleared. It is NOT the "Hidden file" entry that clears this.

9. supportpros

supportpros

It's definately the "Hidden File" entry that either displays or hides this file on desktop in vista. I tested both that and the "Hide Protected Operating Systems."

Only choosing "Do not show hidden files and folders" made it dissapear off my desktop

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/632555