1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I replace spacebar key with other key..?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sg09, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

Spacebar of my Logitech keyboard is not working. Presently i'm working with on-screen-keyboard. But this is a very tedious job... :(
    Is there any way to use other less used key (right winkey, home key, page up/down key etc)...? Or is there any way to associate a hotkey combination to work like spacebar..? please help me.. I don't want to purchase a new keyboard for a single defect.. (y)

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Perhaps a good clean of your keyboard would help, remove all the keys and remove and obstructing debris, replace keys in their correct positions ;)

3. babba46

babba46

There is another way to get around you spacebar issue. With the numlock key pressed, hold the alt key and press 255. This should leave a space.

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

you could try contacting Logitech if its still in guarantee- if not, it might be worth a try anyway. You dont say which kboard- if its a macro one such as a G15, you may be able to set a macro key to spacebar :)

5. Compiler

Compiler

What you need is a keyboard re-map program.

You don;t want to use a HOME or other strange key as this would effect typing abilities quite a bit.

If you remap, do it to the right ALT key.

Keyboards are cheap... $15~25. The $6 ones are really not worth it. HP makes a fine $15~20 basic keyboard.

6. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

thats a good trick Babba46.. thanks... but is there any other way..?
    Jack I was not able to open the keyboard... don't know why..!!

7. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

Dear Gulo Luseus, currently I'm not in home, so not able to check the model no or guarantee period.. but i'd purchased 1.5 yr back..

8. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

Dear Compiler, thanks for ur suggestion... I have downloaded MapKayboard 1.1, a free keyboard re-map program. probably it will work..

9. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

MapKayboard worked... thanks...

10. Compiler

Compiler

You can also have fun with the program by totally randomizing the keyboard of a friends computer ;)

I used such a (built in) program on my Amiga to try and use a Dvorak keyboard rather than QWERTY... it makes so much more sense, but with some programs and using QWERTY everywhere else, I ended up going back (80s keyboards were TOUGH and were made to be pulled off).

It sucks that Dvorak never took off, especially in 80~90s as computers were faster than typwriters. yes, the QWERTY keyboard *WAS* designed to slow down the typist to prevent typewriter jams.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

11. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

hey..!! is there any keyboard mapping software for ubuntu? 'coz i have to install ubuntu along with windows...? or can i run mapkeyboard using wine?? but mapkeyboard requires .net framework 2.0 or above.

12. Compiler

Compiler

I'm sure theres dozens of keymappper programs for linux and it should over-ride wine.

But seriously, plan on replacing the keyboard. $15~30. They don't make them like they used to :( Mine was made 12 years ago... its not even a PS/2 connector type. Its heavy (by todays standards), solid and tough. It'll be funny... my keyboard *IS* the only PC part I've keep for the past 8+ system upgrades... from Win95 to Windows7 :)

13. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

12 years..!!! thats great...!!! old is gold... :)

14. sg09

sg09 Thread Starter

yah..!! i guess i should replace this, because it affected my typing speed very badly.. x-(

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/857342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice