1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can i run 64 bit windows 7 on 32 bit processor.??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nesh96, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nesh96

nesh96 Thread Starter

hey .. i currently hav windows xp pro 32 bit and i have decided to go for windows 7 ... But should i go for 32 or 64 bit windows 7?
    i really wanna go for 64 bit since it supports more RAM but the problem is i am running 32 bit processor....:(
    here are some of my system specs ...
    128 mb intel graphics card.
    2gb ram..
    gigabyte 945g motherboard..
    i have checked compatibility with windows 7 upgrade advisor and everything seems fine...
    if i install 64 bit windows 7 on my 32 bit processor what will be the consequences... plz help...

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Have you confirmed there are Windows 7 drivers for all the devices in your computer?

Too many people have learned this the hard way after making the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What's the complete model number of that Gigabyte motherboard? It should start with GA-945G.

Also advise what revision number it is.

I'm guessing at this point that it has an Intel 945G chipset.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. w7pro

w7pro

5. nesh96

nesh96 Thread Starter

yep i know im running 32 bit.... i typed msinfo32.exe and found out that both processor and os were 32 bit.....
    and my motherboard is intel(R) 82945G express chipset family>flavallee

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

When you buy Windows 7 you get both 32- and 64-bit installation DVDs. So, you can easily try the 64-bit one. I'm very sure that you will discover within minutes or less that it will not attempt to install on a 32-bit machine. Even if it did install on a 32-bit machine it would be unable to do anything that the 32-bit version doesn't.

7. Zack14923

Zack14923

may b your processor is EM64T supported... like mine..... so it can run 64 bit windows...
    if the info bout your pro was here it wub be easier for all to give u the answer needed!!

8. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

That's not the description of the motherboard. That's the description of the Intel 82945G integrated graphics controller.

Here is the graphics driver for Windows 7(64-bit).

Here is the graphics driver for Windows 7(32-bit).

Now you need to determine if there's Windows 7 drivers for the sound device and the wired/wireless network adapter(s).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

9. nesh96

nesh96 Thread Starter

thnx for replies guyz...!!! dat helped a ,lot!! :)

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

You won't run anything 64 on that machine. You'll be lucky if 7/32 supports your hardware.

You can mark your thread "solved" using the button at the top of the page.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988438