1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Can I stop Gmail from deleting emails on the other device - pc and iPhone

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by K0rkY, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. K0rkY

K0rkY Thread Starter

One Touch email is a fine principle

But I want to manage emails on pc and iPhone separately. When I delete an email on my pc using Outlook, I don't want it to delete alreadydownloaded emails on my iPhone. This is how my hotmail accounts work.

Gmail works differently. It syncs all messages immediately on both devices. Can I change Gmail to stop deleting/updating emails. I still want all messages displayed on both devices, whenever I start them.

Alternatively, can I make MS hotmail sync all messages, just like Gmail?

Thanks
    D

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    imap and active sync is designed to make each device synchronise
    The way to stop that is to use
    POP

I'm not sure if hotmail will accept POP settings - Gmail will
    But you say hotmail works OK

so on Gmail setup as pop and change the gmail webmail settings to use POP and not use IMAP
    then you would need to leave the email in the inbox and see if the other devices still picks up the new email

3. K0rkY

K0rkY Thread Starter

I thought these were the settings I had up to a month ago.
    When I visited Apple Shop, to setup a new iPhone they suggested I change to the more modern "outlook" method IMAP.

BUT I'm sure the auto syncing of accounts on both devices started happening last year. I assumed Gmail had changed..? What do you think?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Also the default auto setup will use IMAP

The only way I know to stop the autosync is to use POP
    But most people want all the devices to sync so that if they do delete and nologer need an email its removed from all devices

5. K0rkY

K0rkY Thread Starter

I am going to have to think about this. Thanks for the solution.
    It has been very helpful

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is there a reason you do not want just to change to POP setting ?
    if you do, make sure you do not have the setting on outlook 2013 to delete email after downloading - this is quite important
    As when the first device to connect to the email server gmail website it will download the emails and then delete them off the gmail server and so NO other device will get the email and also the only copy you have will be on that one device
    iphones have "delete from server" set to never
    outlook 2013 , not sure what the default setting is - so it will need to be checked

7. K0rkY

K0rkY Thread Starter

Yes.There are issues with "one touch" and keeping everything on all devices.
    I'll try to manage with one-touch. The ONLY issue is that Hotmail keeps copies on both, so I have to look where the email was going to, a hotmail or gmail account, when on the iPhone, before deleting, filing or keeping in the inbox

I use the inbox as a To Do list. It's a pain moving stuff to a todo folder, then I have to review it as well as the inbox regularly.

Thanks

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how about moving the inbox to a done folder/label when finished , if you do NOT want to delete the email

OR on gmail - you could setup a rule , for all emails that hit the inbox to be moved to a TO DO label/folder

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1150417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice