1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I swap out a working hard drive and put it in another pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by geno368, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I have two pc's with sata drives. both of then are running windows 7 home premium. I want to install Windows 8 on one machine and then use pc mover to move all my programs and files to that windows 8 os pc. Shouldn't either drive work in each machine?

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Without knowing the specs on the computers there's no way we can know for sure. Can you please give us a little more info?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are moving the system drive from one computer to another, unless the second computer has identical hardware, the system will not boot with windows 7 originally installed on the other machine. Second if the Installation of windows is an OEM such as from a dell or hp or any other bigbox system, it is illegal to use that installation on any other system. If you however want to add the drive as a second drive so that you can retrieve files and such then it should work just fine.

4. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies...
    One of them is a gateway which from the factory had vista 64 bit with 6 gb ram. I bought a windows 7 retail and updated it. The other one is an acer aspire which also had Vista but it is now a windows 7 32 bit with 2gb ram.
    I wonder if I could just add the second drive on the gateway as a slave and put Windows 8.1 on it

5. valis

valis Moderator

truth told, if that gateway came with Vista installed, no way it is going to run 8.1......

6. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Thanks,Valis....why wouldn't it run it?

7. valis

valis Moderator

when vista was released, 8.1 wasn't even thought of yet. As a result, the hardware that 8.1 will use (as well as drivers) simply didn't exist back then. It would be like taking a 2015 formula 1 engine and tossing it in a Model T.

8. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

lol...thanks Valis

9. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

But you'd sure have one FAST computer lol

10. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Valis, I do have a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop which originally had Vista business and I bought Windows 8 for it last year. I did the 8.1 update and it is running fine. It that because it is a laptop?

11. valis

valis Moderator

technically it shouldn't work, as according to Dell there are no W8/8.1 drivers for it....you may run into some hardware issues.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The other issue you have is the fact that you are dealing with big box systems ie dell, gateway whatever. The oem windows lic is valid with the original hardware only ie you cannot take a drive with windows and move it to another system. You can however install the drive and clean install whatever os you want. Before installing win8, make sure it is a supported os for your system. If there are no win8 drivers, then you are a beta tester; might work and it might not work.

13. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the insight and info...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice