1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I undo quarantines after uninstalling symantec?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by dutchshadow, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dutchshadow

dutchshadow Thread Starter

Hi,

Some time ago, after running a scan with Symantec Antivirus, some of my favorite applications and some files seemed to have gotten quarantined. Since I was for some odd reason unable to undo this quarantine, I used a system restore point and that temporarily fixed the issue.

Today unfortunately, I was in a rush and got fed up with Symantec blocking my stuff again and since several attempts at system restore did not fix the problem this time I uninstalled Symantec and downloaded AVG. Initially I could not even uninstall it so I removed it from the registry using Symantec's knowledge base and ran the Windows Installer Clean up utility because it kept trying to reinstall. All things Symantec and Norton appear to have been removed now.

Of course, this did not fix the issue either since I am now even unable to undo the exception or quarantine that Symantec imposed on my system. I realize that I probably should have searched the Symantec knowledge base more thoroughly to come up with a way to undo the quarantine/exceptions but alas, hindsight and all that.

I don't have a clue if I can resolve this mess, and if so, how. I'm running Windows XP with the updates installed (latest one today) and it appears to affect mostly files that I have downloaded, plus video files that were either downloaded or created on the computer itself (with avi extensions, mpeg4 extensions etc). The error I am getting with the video files is "C00D11B1" but my sound device appears to be working fine and to have the correct driver installed. In applications other than WMP I am getting errors about filters that may be missing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    DS

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I doubt that there is any way to "unquarantine" files that were quarantined by Symantec. Do you know where they are stored? It is undubtedly in some impenetrable container that prevents any infections from being released.

So I guess I'm a bit puzzled by the whole problem. You seem to have some rather specific problems that on the face of it seem unrelated to anything Symantec. Why do you think it is involved?

Perhaps trying to solve specific problems, one at a time, would work better than trying to find a global fix.

3. dutchshadow

Thanks for your swift reply Elvandil. The reason I thought (admittedly, jumped to the conclusion..) that Symantec was involved is because the first time the problem occurred a few months back was right after a Symantec scan and no other activity on the computer on that date. I basically booted up, ran a scan, and after this scan was unable to play a video file (from my camcorder) that had been functioning fine up till then. So I tried a system restore and this worked at the time. Unfortunately I can't restore that far back. Maybe some other stuff is going on at the moment that I am not aware of.
    As far as the location of the files that will no longer play: "my videos" I haven't tried all of my sound files yet (since according to MS the "C00D11B1" error is related to audio) but some also appear to have kicked the bucket. Maybe I need to do some more research about the affected files, first, and see if I can come up with a common denominator where error messages are concerned. Thanks again...I'll post if I can come up with anything.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Examine one of the non-playing files with a program that will evaluate what codec is used and whether you have it installed.

Some useful tools (with a lot of functional overlap--Gspot will check a file and try to render it with the found codecs and CodecInstaller will scan for needed codecs and help you install updates or missing ones):

CodecInstaller
    GSpot
    DP MediaInfo
    VideoInspector
    Sherlock

5. dutchshadow

Thanks, that was very helpful. Some files did indeed need some codecs I didn't have installed and are playing fine now! Should've thought of that :rolleyes:. A few of them still aren't playing, could be they're corrupt. Since the ones that still aren't playing aren't all that important to me I can just delete them and move on. Thanks again!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're welcome. If the ones that still don't play are avi files, you may try this all-in-one avi codec solution:

FFDShow DirectShow Codec

Glad you got it fixed, but as you discovered, and even though I appreciate your original line of reasoning, simultaneity is not sufficient to prove causality, especially with complex systems. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice