1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can I use my wireless router as wired router & wireless access point?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GrannyGamer, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GrannyGamer

GrannyGamer Thread Starter

I recently bought a Netgear Wireless N 150 router (although I haven't set it up yet). One reason I chose it is that I was told it can be used as a wired network between our two desktop computers, and as a wireless access point for the laptop. But frankly, I don't always trust what the sales people tell me.

I've read on many sites that wired computers have some advantages over wireless, including security and speed, so I prefer a wired LAN for the main computers (they are within feet of each other and will stay that way). But I would like the convenience of going online via the wireless connection with my laptop in the other room.

I've never done this before (I always just had a wired connection between the 2 desktops and didn't bother going online with the laptop) and I need to know if this setup will cause any problems I should know about.

Please don't suggest I go wireless for the entire LAN -- I'm just too set in my ways to make that leap right now. If my planned setup won't work, I'll stick with my current one and forget the laptop.

Barbara

2. oksteve

oksteve

Yes, I have a similar set up with my Belkin N router
    I have my wifes Mac hard wired as Belkin, routers don't seem to like Macs wirelessly for some reason.(Must post that question here sometime..lol)
    My Laptop hardwired,my ps3 hardwired and my netbook wireless as too with my Ipod touch. All working fine. Your only limited with hardwiring by the ports at the back of the router.
    Wireless limited by structures and distance.
    So go ahead plumb that router in get surfin'

I cannot see your Netgear being any differant

3. GrannyGamer

Thanks! You're the ONLY person I've asked who has actually DONE this! I really appreciate your response --

Barbara

4. oksteve

oksteve

happy to help, quid pro quo....I need a good cookie recipe Granny! hahahahaha

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What you're describing is a classic wireless router installation, millions of people run that way. ;)

6. GrannyGamer

John Will ... Good grief! And I thought I was being innovative. Sheeeesshh.... Maybe I *will* go back to baking cookies! Either that, or back to DOS and 300 baud dialup ....

7. oksteve

oksteve

ahhhh....dial up....those were the days.

I am sure John can bake as good as the rest of us but ones Grandmother bakes with that extra mmmmm...pffff now I am hungry.

Before we drift completely off topic John,me and Millions of people that run that way are glad your own setup is working and thats all that matters. Live Long and Prosper...DIR:CLS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice