1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can it be profitable to start small ISP? (web hosting, domain reg, & shell acounts)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tjamnz, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Im just curious as to what kind of input i might find on a topic like this.

thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would say Web Hosting - yes.
    Domain Registration - NO
    Shell Accounts - NO

But many webhosting companies do mix domain registration into their packages. I am sure they themselves are not domain registrars, they just register the domain you want for you. If you are going to be a Web Host and really want to make money then you are going to need some dedicated servers and lots of bandwidth. Your best bet would be to do some co-location service. Many web hosting companies do that. There web servers run off site.

As far as shell accounts go, most of the hosting companies out there have taken away Shell access. Which is why I host my own websites for myself and friends. If people want shell accounts they can get one at FreeShell.

3. tjamnz

tjamnz Thread Starter

Thanks! It looks like i'll have to do a little research on co-location.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice