Solved: Can Just the USB2 Drivers Be Extracted from the SP-2 Disk?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hulk701

Banned
One of my drives has just Windows XP Pro on it. NO service packs.

I have a usb2 mass storage device that connects to the xp drive but this storage device (drive) only functions with usb 1 capabilities. IF I install SP2 I can get usb2 capabilities but I notice that some of my games run more slowly. (I don't know why)

Is there any way I can extract just the USB2 drivers from the SP-2 disk so I don't have to install the entire service pack to the drive?

Thanks,
HULK

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
The manufacturer of your motherboard may have USB 2.0 drivers for you. You don't need XP Sp2 to get USB 2.0 support if the manufacturer makes a drivers. Microsoft use to have its own driver for download as well but pull it from individual download when SP1 when came out. So you have two options. Check the manufacturers site or use SP1.

I hope your computer isn't connected to the Internet. I don't want you spreading viruses.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I really think you should figure out why games run more slowly, since that's not an effect that's universal. SP2 made a lot of improvements, and it's the right way to get the USB ports working.

Hulk701

Banned
I went to my MB website, MSI and found the following drivers:

VIA USB2.0 Patch (Under WinXP+SP1)

Support model 1. VIA 8235/8237 based SB chipset motherboard
2. The Operating is under WinXP with SP1

Description • Patch WinXP+SP1 USB2.0 show "Standard Enhance PCI to USB Host Controller" to "VIA USB2.0 Enhance Host Controller".
• Driver version: 5.1.2600.1106

Date 2002-11-8

Your System OS WinXP(35KB)

So according to this I need SP1 installed with XP in order for the MSI driver to work?

Is this correct?

HULK.

Hulk701

Banned
Okay,

Problem Solved,

I went to the MSI website and downloaded their drivers. It still wasn't enough because XP asked for Additional drivers. That's when I did a search for the drivers on the SP2 disk. As it turned out they were there.

I pasted the drivers to a new folder on my desktop and then pointed the browse function to the new folder.

Now I have USB2 in my XP installation, which is what I wanted. It IS possible to extract the drivers without installing SP2. I just used my knowledge of Win98 System File Checker to replace them

Thanks Gang for all your help!;)
HULK!:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online