1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can my laptop be upgraded?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by techntraining, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techntraining

techntraining Thread Starter

i have a acer laptop (acer Aspire 4315-2535) that i just got rather cheap for a laptop and i was wondering is it possible to upgrade the processor in anyway maybe to a better GHz or even a better type.
    right now it is a Intel Celeron cpu 540 @1.86Ghz.
    also can i or would it be to my advantage even to upgrade the 1 GB of DDR2 ram or not if there is no reason too then i won't.
    but here is the main reason i am asking this is cuase i am running Vista Home Premium and i don't think that the processor is fast enough to really handle it.
    I have another computer that runs vista but has a dual core processor and i love how it runs. so it isn't like i am hating on vista it just runs so sluggish on these specs.
    i know i can't get the a dual core processor in this laptop (or i don't think i can) but atlease a better experience.
    If you need anymore information about the laptop just let me know and i will get it to you

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You cannot usually upgrade a laptop CPU, as a faster CPU would generate more heat, which the laptop cannot handle without speed-stepping the CPU down, so nothing is gained. The BIOS may also prevent it.

But it is worth giving Vista Home Premium 2 GB of RAM.

3. earld2

earld2

If you bought that laptop really cheap, use it. If it is running XP-SP1 now increasing memory will help but not to a great degree. That machine is operating at just about it's design limit; enjoy.

4. techntraining

i have vista sp1 on it and that is the thing i am not sure if it was even really designed for vista or just something they slapped on it i really wish i could xp on this machine just so that it would run a little faster, and like i said i like vista just on this laptop it seems so sluggish
    well thanks for the imput

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Google suggests they were factory shipped with Vista.

6. unbidden

unbidden

7. earld2

earld2

No reason you can't have XP on that computer; just buy a copy, format the hard-drive and do a clean install of XP. Nothing about that computer excludes any operating system you want.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Not always true.

If it only ever shipped with Vista, there may be no XP compatible drivers available from the manufacturer, meaning that a change might be excluded. Check the Acer site for XP drivers before making any decisions.

9. techntraining

yeah i don't think i want to risk my laptop as far as puting xp on it or anything but thank you all for the suggestions.
    i will get use to it eventually i just was wondering if i could upgrade it anyway i might try the ram thing. try it with a temporary from another computer and see if anything changes then if it doesn't i wont waste the money on getting the ram.
    oh by the way i am running Norton's but i ran this system for a week or two before putting it on and it slowed down a little but that is cuase it is protecting the computer
    all in all i will get use to it.
    thanks for the suggestions again.

10. unbidden

unbidden

I'd run a stand-alone free anti-virus and Windows Firewall, along with some free spyware scans once a week - that with a little smart computing is all you need IMHO.

11. techntraining

but like i said i was running it for a while without norton's on it and antivir just to see what it was like before it slowed down with norton's on it but i might try to unistall norton's for a weekend or something since sp1 is on it now to see if there is any difference
    thanks again

12. unbidden

unbidden

Don't leave it unprotected. Put a free AV on the pc.
    Avast
    Avira
    AVG

13. techntraining

oh yeah of course
    guess i should have said that my bad
    i like antivir or avira as you put it it is simple and nice and even when running the scans does really slow down the coputer.
    think I should put like spybot or anything like that up or no?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice