Solved: can no longer acquire images

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kathiez

Hi, I have a canon sd300 powershot digital camera.
Until recently it was working fine except that now when I hook it up to the computer to acquire the photos that we have taken, nothing happens. Actually the computer eventually freezes and it when I hit ctr,alt,delete it says msgsrv32 not responding. :mad:

I think the computer has been saying that for awhile but we were still able to download photos.

I have windows 98.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathie

kathiez

I went to the website that you told me about but I only get so far with the instructions.
Like in this part:
3. In the Power Management box, click Off (or click the "Allow windows to manage power on this computer" check box to clear it).
I don't have this to check off.
I also don't have:4. On the Settings tab, click the Enable Power Management Support check box to clear it, and then click OK.
Are those instructions for windows 98?

Thanks,
Kathie

kathiez

I took some excellent photos tonight at my daughters soccer game and they can't be downloaded on to the computer. I am about to pull all my hair out.
What to do? Thank you in advance for any tips you can offer. Thank you.........Kathie

Your best bet is to call Canon. They might have a patch. Searching the Canon support they offer no support for Windows 98 – just Win98SE. They also offer no drivers for Win98. Windows 98 was really poor with USB support. Are you sure the camera lists Win98 as acceptable?

Do you have 98 or 98SE? slipe's remark about 98 and USB is right on the mark. Upgrading is sometimes the only solution. But, if it worked before, it should work again.

If there is specific software that you installed that accompanied the camera, go to Add/Remove and uninstall all of it. Reboot and reinstall the software.

Has any new software, hardware, or changes of any kind been made to the machine just prior to the appearance of the problem? Are you experiencing any other problems with the machine that may even seem unrelated to this one?

kathiez

I had windows 98 but I got my computer serviced and I believe that we have windows 98SE now. How can I check?
I had been able to download pictures since the switch.

If I uninstall, will all the pictures that I have on that program be erased?

I did use Easy Cleaner and I erased duplicate enteries. Hope I did not erase anything I needed.

Thanks for responding.

-Kathie

Move your pictures to another folder to be sure they will be safe. Then try uninstalling/reinstalling.

Does this mean that the problem started right after the switch?
"I had been able to download pictures since the switch."

There are many duplicate files on your machine that need to be there. You should be very careful in removing dupes and be sure you only remove pictures, songs, or other non-system files.

It's easy to tell what version you have.

Right click on My Computer
Select Properties
It will show Microsoft Windows98 / Second Edition if that's what you have

kathiez

The problem just started recently. Not associated with our computer being serviced.
I will move my photos. Thanks for the tip.

I think I went overboard with the easy cleaner.

I will let you know what happens when I reinstall the camera program.

Thank you............Kathie

If you really went overboard with EasyCleaner, you may end up reinstalling Windows to replace the missing files. Whether that is necessary will become apparent if you start having problems due to the missing files. With NTFS file systems, files can be hard-linked and a single file can be in multiple places at the same time, removing the requirement for duplicate system files. But that is not possible with FAT32 file systems.

It's pretty easy to go overboard with those cleaner programs.

Did you figure out what version of Win98 you have? Hopefully it is SE.

The fact that this was working under 98 might tell you that your memory card is fritzed------try another memory card and see if that works. Also, you might try reformating your card (in camera) and see what happens. I've been shooting pic for years now and I have had memory cards fail--it does happen. Just a thought.

kathiez

I uninstalled the program that came with the camera and then re-installed it and voila it works again. I moved all my pictures to a new folder just to be safe but when I reinstalled all the old pictures were still there intact. Thank god!

Thank you for all your suggestions.

You're very welcome. I'd say "Come again", but I'm not hexing you.

It was wise of you to copy the pictures. Even if an application installer or update claims to leave things undamaged, that is only if all goes as expected. Never trust your precious pictures or other files to the caprices of an installation when it is easy to protect them.

Good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online