1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Can no longer save web pictures as a jpeg

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by elprup, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elprup

elprup Thread Starter

I was recently using PS 7 and now I cannot save web images as jpegs. Sometimes it will allow me to save gif's as gif's, but some gif's can only be saved as a bitmap. I can't save a file as a jpeg no matter what the original source file is. I don't know for sure if PS 7 has anything to do with it or not because I didn't alter anything within that program. How do I get this problem fixed?

Win ME, btw.

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

ps7- is that paint shop pro 7?

3. elprup

elprup Thread Starter

Adobe Photoshop

4. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

try clearing your temporary internet files folder

buck

5. brindle

brindle

I use Irfanview so not familiar with ps7. Isn't there an option to choose what extentions you want to associate PS7 with?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Elprup
    The most common cause of this type of problem is Temp Internet File overload or corruption and\or a defective Helper object ActiveX control or Java control.

First try deleting all your temporary internet files including all offline content.
    Open IE, select tools\internet options select delete files in Temporary Internet files section and when window pop-ups up select all offline content.

After completion retry save as.

If problem still exists then go back to Internet Options temporary section and this time select the settings button and then the View Objects tab. Select and delete any that state "Unknown" or "Damaged"

Note: When these are deleted you will have to redownload them in the future to use them. For instance you would find Yahoo Games Applets or ActiveX controls in this area among others.

Now retry the save as function.

Let us know if that helps.

Dave

7. elprup

elprup Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys. Davey and wanabe were right on. I deleted my temporary internet files (but saved the offline content) and it worked!

Now I would like to know the underlying details of what causes this type of problem. It's not that I just hadn't cleaned out the temp folder in a while because I NEVER clean it out. So, why would this happen all of a sudden?

Another question: as I was skimming through the programs in Add/Remove, I have Internet Explorer Q818529 and Outlook Express Update Q330994. This isn't typical is it? Would these be some sort of virus modified versions? I don't ever recall the Q###### before.

Thanks again guys. TSG is great. I know, I know...echo........

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Elprup
    No it is not unusual for your temp internet files to get outdated or corrupt. If you do not routinely clean the cache this will happen. You should periodically clean all Temp Internet files and offline content. Depending on your surfing habits maybe once per month minimum.
    As far as the article numbers..... No they are normal to show up there. The 818529 for instance is this patch that you downloaded and set up from Windows Update.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];818529

Hope that answers your questions.

Will consider matter solved.

Dave

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice