1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can Not Format External Hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bkdc, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkdc

bkdc Thread Starter

I need your expertise for this one. I have an Samsung 60GB hard drive that I have been using for backup. The drive is in an external case connected thru a usb port & I have been using it for some time without problems. Since it was previously formated as FAT32, I decided to clean it up & reformat as NTFS.

After cleaning I ran Partition Magic 8, to set up 2 partitions & received an "error 27, Cannot lock drive".

Tried to reformat with Windows. After the format appeared to be finishing I received "Windows unable to complete format" .

The drive displays in MY Computer but shows no Total space or free space. If I click properties: it shows 0 used space 0 free space. Also none of the Tools in the run on it.

Running Win XP Home
    What can I do to fix it????

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You may have to remove the drive from the external case and connect it temporarily on your secondary IDE channel. If you can't format it there, try the disk manufacturer's diagnostics and see if the drive has died for some reason. You might also try DBAN to totally clear the entire drive and see if that allows you to complete the partitioning and formatting.

3. bkdc

bkdc Thread Starter

JOHNWILL, THANKS for your input. I downloaded DBAN but thought that I would try PM8 one more time. Guess what ???? It worked. :eek:
    Using PM8, I deleted the partition, then created a new 40GB NTFS partition (worked great this time), then I created a second NTFS partition using the remaining space. Once again worked just like the text book says. :confused: :confused:

I can't figure this one :confused:

For what its worth:
    PM ERROR code 27, states the following:
    #27 Cannot lock drive
    Under multitasking operating systems such as Windows 95, PartitionMagic must lock a partition before it can safely modify it. If the hard disk contains files that are in use by another process, PartitionMagic cannot lock the partition.

THE MYSTERY:
    There was no data on the drive & why didn't Windows format work ???

Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice