1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can NOT start Windows Firewall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nightmare, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

I have been trying to solve this for quite some time now. I go into the control panel, firewall settings. On the first tab, you get to choose your firewall setting (on/on with exceptions/Off). All of my options are greyed out and I have no options to start the firewall.

Clean computer (just spent the last 3 days debugging it). I am sure that it has something to do with what was downloaded by my son but even after cleaning up the computer to get rid of spyware, malware, trojans, backdoors, viruses, etc.... I am left with the same result.

Here is a copy of Hijack this:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 2:27:58 PM, on 3/23/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16414)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust Anti-Spam\QSP-2.1.215.5\QOELoader.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Firewall\ca.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\DELLSU~1\DSBrws.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\DELLSU~1\DSBrws.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Lessard\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://tampabay.rr.com/aroundtampabay/
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelMeM] C:\Program Files\Intel\Modem Event Monitor\IntelMEM.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A920] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O16 - DPF: {56393399-041A-4650-94C7-13DFCB1F4665} (PSFormX Control) - http://www.my-etrust.com/Extern/RoadRunner/PestScan/pestscan.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1108058108421
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1174673089234
    O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DEAE3D5A-9E37-4136-A742-327AB32591C3}: NameServer = 65.32.5.74,65.32.3.79
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
    O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
    O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe
    O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Any suggestions other than what is at the MS website...there suggestions do not seem to work. I ran all the commands and there were no identifyable problems.

TIA

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

when you go to firewall does it say anywhere "group policy"

3. jwinathome

jwinathome

1. Repair the Winsock registry key. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    b. At the command prompt, type netsh winsock reset, and then press ENTER.
    c. Type exit, and then press ENTER to close the Command Prompt window.
    d. Restart the computer.

If that doesn't do the trick:

2. Reinstall the Netfw.inf file. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, click Run, type explorer, and then click OK.
    b. Locate and then open the following folder:
    %Windir%\Inf
    Note The %Windir% folder is the folder where you installed Microsoft Windows. The Inf folder is a hidden folder. To view the Inf folder, you must change the folder options on the computer so that you can view hidden files and folders. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    2. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders in the Advanced settings list.
    3. Click Apply, and then click OK.
    c. Right-click the Netfw.inf file, and then click Install.
    d. Change the folder options on the computer so that you cannot view hidden files and folders. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    2. On the View tab, click Do not show hidden files and folders in the Advanced settings list.
    3. Click Apply, and then click OK.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

You seem to have ZoneAlarm Firewall running....that could be why Windows won't run.

5. jwinathome

jwinathome

Another thing....

Method 1: For Windows XP Home and Professional Editions

1. Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
    2. Navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ WindowsFirewall

3. Backup the key and then delete the WindowsFirewall branch.
    4. Close Regedit.exe and restart Windows.

6. jwinathome

jwinathome

Oh ZoneAlarm is a 3rd party firewall....I thought it was Anti-Virus, yeah that may be making it unavailable.

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Also

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

Updating Java:

Download the latest version of Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update

• Scroll down to where it says "The J2SE Runtime Environment (JRE) allows end-users to run Java applications".
    • Click the "Download" button to the right.
    • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
    • The page will refresh.
    • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation with or without Multi-language and save to your desktop.
    • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
    • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
    • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.

Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.

Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
    Re-Start your Computer

8. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

No. Nothing about group policy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above is all that I have.

9. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

Did as you suggested. Still no availability to start the FW even AFTER I uninstalled the CA (Zone Alarm) firewall. I did not think that this was an issue because I have another compututer with the same firewalls (Windows and CA) and it is no problem.

10. bonk

bonk Banned

Have you checked in Services that ZoneAlarm has been stopped and have you tried to Start the Windows Firewall from there.

Check in Services to see that it in-fact has been started.

Go Start>>Run type services.msc click OK

Look down the list for Windows Firewall

Double click on it and check that is has been started (the start button will be greyed out)

and the startup type is Automatic

11. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

This did the trick. Firewall is now active.

12. Nightmare

Nightmare Thread Starter

Thanks for everyones help.

I was able to solve the problem with your help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!