1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can people view my files even if they're not on my wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by John4566, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John4566

John4566 Thread Starter

Hi all. I was just wondering if it's possible if another person on a computer nearby would be able to remotely access my files, and monitor my activity even if they're NOT connected to my wifi network. My wifi network is secured and I have a firewall. I am using windows 7. Additionally, is there anyway I would be able to check if someone has accessed my files if possible? If anyone has the answer please let me know.

2. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

General/ down & dirty answer, no. As a more broad answer, anything is possible. (if you have accepted a trojan then its possible, if youve previously allowed remote software to be installed, its paossible, etc etc.)

Can you provide any specifics? What are you thinking is the issue?

3. John4566

John4566 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. A few weeks ago, I had a friend stay over at my house. I never gave him my wifi password and instead to connect to the internet, he used the data on his phone via a usb cable. I'm a bit paranoid because at the time, under "Network and Sharing Centre" in my control panel, under "Advanced sharing settings", I had "Network discovery" ON, I had "File and Printer Sharing" ON, and Homegroup connections set to allow Windows to manage homegroup connections for Private, Guest or Public, and All Networks. Additionally, under "System Properties" and under the "Remote" tab, "Allow Remote Assistance connections to this computer" was checked ON. All this stuff was default and I had no idea. Once again, he wasn't on my wifi, which is a secure network, but the fact that I had all this stuff checked ON at the time worries me.

4. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

Network discovery being on is common if you have something such as a wireless printer, more than one computer etc. Same with file & printer sharing. Homegroup connections; even if turned on is a bit involved to set up, it generates a code you then have to enter on each computer (but they have to be on the same network). You could turn off the remote assistance connections, but that also will only work with a computer on the same network, and a port opened for it on your router.(3389)
    So in short, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

5. John4566

John4566 Thread Starter

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

6. John4566

John4566 Thread Starter

One more question, if you don't mind. Under Computer Management --> Shared Folders --> Users --> Owner, basically all my files are there. What does this mean exactly?

7. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

It means they are shared under, I believe the homegroup, in case you had another computer you wanted to share with on your network.

8. John4566

John4566 Thread Starter

Ok ty.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice