1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can ping, see google but not browse!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fryups, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

Hi I'm running Vista Home Premium 32 bit on my Acer 5100 via a Belkin 7233-4 wireless router and Firefox 3.5.5. Since moving the router a week ago I've had continual problems browsing the web. My wife's Linux netbook and son's laptop work fine.

I get a good wifi signal and the router shows local and internet. I can navigate via IP address to the router's admin page. Most of the time I can open igoogle and google mail, but I most can't navigate beyond there with bookmarks or site names - even if using search results. Then, all of a sudden it works fine for half a day, then reverts to almost nothing! Same on IE, FF and Chrome!

I've found that for may sites I can ping via cmd prompt, but can't navigate to them via web addresses. I have not changed anything on the laptop other than flush DNS.

Please help - the laptop is virtually useless!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is this just wireless? Have you checked a wired connection to see if it has the same issues? If wired and wireless are having the issue, try this.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or Windows 7.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, each followed by the Enter key:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

John

Thanks, it's the same wired and wireless. The weired thing is it isn't consistent. Sometimes it works fine, then suddenly degrades to next to useless! It's 6AM now and fine, yesterday when I posted it had been useless for 3 hours then suddenly started to work with no intervention!. All that time the linux netbook and son's Vista basic laptop were fine.

I'll give your sugestions atry now and report back.. Thanks again.

4. JohnWill

I'd also be thinking malware if it comes and goes.

5. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

Thanks - I have done full AVG, malwarebytes & spybot S&D scans, all clean. I do daily AVG and have up to date Spywareblaster running. All windows updates also applied. Also have Comodo firewall running.

Checked 3 hours ago and back to almost useless. Will check again when able later this evening. Just doesn't make any sense.

6. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

More info - it gets more perverse!!

I have just got into this site after 3 attempts with 'try again', however, I still can't get to the vast majority of others, firefox just says server not found. My iGoogle home page doesn't load fully yet my Googlemail works fine!

My PC, running XP has the sme issues as the laptop but wife's linux netbook still perfect and son's Vista laptop also fine!

The only common factor between PC and my laptop that I can think of is Comodo Firewall (plus AVG and so on). Son's laptop has Zonealarm. Could this be a firewall problem? Surely not?

By the way, I can ping 74.125.45.100 ?google) and 209.131.36.159 (is that yahoo?). Typing the google ip into the browser loads the page but won't for yahoo.

It is just strange that the 2 windows machines which were on when the router was moved have the problems. Linux is fine and sons windows laptop (which was 100 miles away) is fine.

At this rate I've got 2 useless computers!

7. JohnWill

I'd really recommend complete virus and malware scans first.

8. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

Last full Malwarebytes scan was 9/12 (after problems started), last full AVG scan was last night. Any ideas? Maybe uninstall Comodo? Just seems odd that the ping works. Is this some sort of DNS problem (Belkin support insist the router is fine). ISP is Oragnge UK

9. JohnWill

To a full scan with an updated Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

I'd also certainly uninstall Comodo, and use Revo Uninstaller to do the uninstall. The fact that the ping works to Internet URL's tells us that it's not a DNS issue.

Start, Run, NOTEPAD c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS.

Select all and copy and paste to a message here.

10. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

Ok, scan before uninstall or after? Also, no 'select all' option on the etc folder, suggestions (I'm obviously missing something).

11. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

OK, really odd. Just past 9pm and works fine. Can open multiple tabs with no problem! Why .... ! Will update and run Malwarebytes in half an hour.

12. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

John - update: Ran a full Malwarebytes and AVG scan overnight, all clean with no reported infections. Time now 0600 and seems to be working OK. Have uninstalled Comodo on PC which is also working normally at present. Will compare later in the day when I return from work.Still can't copy the Hosts content but there are the following in there: hosts, hosts.20090214-100507.backup, Imhosts.sam, networks, protocol, services. all dated 18-09-2009 except the 'hosts' which is 14-02-2009. Thanks!

13. JohnWill

The plain HOSTS file is the one we're interested in.

14. fryups

fryups Thread Starter

Thanks John, what do youwant me to do with it? I'm not at home but will be back at the computer in about 3 hours or so (1930 UK time) if that helps. Additionally, I checked quickly at lunchtime (3 hrs ago) and laptop and PC were slow - loaded some pages but many were 'server not found' but not as many as in the evening (yet).

15. JohnWill

Start, Run, NOTEPAD c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS.

Select all and copy and paste to a message here.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/885291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice