1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can read but can't write dvds on dvd burner

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by hrtbob, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

hey all,

i've just purchased a pioneer dvr-110 that is giving me some strife. Having bought some Lg 1-8X 4.7gb dvd-r's a set about putting some images onto dvd's, music and files. To date i have had no luck at all using dvd's, cd-r's, cd-rw's or anything. I upgraded from nero 6 to nero 7 beta to see if that would improve things but has done nothing.

I have upgraded the firmware from the web for the drive and this has not helped either. My computer is running my primary hard drive as primary master, dvd burner as primary slave
    i also have a cd burner and smaller hard drive on the other ide cable.

Looking in device manager the primary hard drive and dvd burner are in dma ultra 2 mode but the other two say not applicable under properties.

can anyone help me get my burner working?

cheers, hrtbob

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Uh..This has me concerned.. You saying your Main Hard drive and Master Rom drive are on the same cable?..

I thought that was a bad thing...

Master Hard Drive go's at the end of IDE 1, slave in the middle of IDE 1.
    Master Rom drive at the end of IDE 2 and slave Rom drive in the middle of IDE 2..

With two masters on one cable, your PC may not be seeing them right.

So is my understanding.. I could be wrong, but try moving them and see.

3. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

i'm definitely not an expert when it comes ide placement, so the dvd burner should be a master not a slave? in which case i have on ide1 - second h/d in middle and 1st on end,
    then on ide 2 , cd burner as slave in middle and dvd burner as master on end...

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Yep that sounds right..

Well, if you think about it one cable needs to send all the info... From main HD to Burner..
    It's just best if your Hard drives are on one, and your Rom drives on the second one..

This is how mine is set right now..
    IDE 1: Master 60gig Hard Drive.... (second drive went dead or it would be slave)
    IDE 2: 16X DVD burner Master (end of cable) 16X DVD rom drive slave in the middle of the cable.

So your setup would be;
    IDE 1: Master HD at the end, Slave HD in the middle..
    IDE 2: Master rom (Burner) at the end, and slave rom in the middle.

By burner I mean the one you use the most.. DVD's can take more info than a CD burner, (I think) so I would make it the master..

You don't really need the CD burner any more.. so set it to slave.

Is it working that way?... Or you haven't tried it yet?

5. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

at the moment it can read anything in the drive but it fails any burning attempts. using nero it comes up with a reset error and an invaild write state error. i've tried using Lg, TDK, Alphatec, and verbatim discs (lg are dvd- rest cd's) i have tried a full disc as well as one document burning at the lowest setting with simulation. It reaches approx 57% before reseting.

Hopefully I will have a chance to swap the drives over this afternoon and will post the results asap.

thanks for the assistance.
    cheers

6. GripS

GripS

In Nero check and make sure that the recorder being used is actually the DVD burner and NOT your CD-burner. By default it might be trying to use the CD-burner.

7. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

i have now moved the drives around and in system properties it has changed from using dma ultra 2 to dma ultra 5. when attempting to burn a full cd of mp3's the disc gets to 12% and comes with the following:

-reset occured
    -invalid write state
    -could not perform end track
    -burn process failed.

i have checked the nero properties and made sure of the correct recorder to be used.

8. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

... Hmm My hard drive is at ultra 5. But my DVD drives are at ultra 2..
    Is it set to auto detect?..

Did windows see the drives move OK?
    I guess you could remove them, and let windows refind and load the drivers again.

Nero can give vauge and general problems too.. Can/have you tried any other burning software?

You could also try disabling DMA and go with PIO only.. see if that will work.

This says XP will auto step down every 6 DMA errors, maybe yours was down to 2 and started at 5.. ??? Not sure.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

9. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

the drives have been moved and windows has acknowledged this. I have tried burning using nero and alcohol 120%. haven't yet tried using pio, will see how that goes.

under device manager, the secondary ide channel states that the
    current transfer mode is 'not applicable' and when i try entering the drive with a blank dvd in there it calls the error 'invalid function' ... does this help at all?

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It is starting to look like a defective drive with those errors, sad to say.

11. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

hmm well if thats the conclusion then i will have to take it back... the last time i took back a faulty motherboard it took 2 monthes to get it back, crosses fingers for speedy change over.

12. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

It still doesn't work!

took burner back and aftera convincing story they swapped it over to a dvr-110D (only pioneer in stock.) The same reset error occurs when attempting to burn. I have removed the cd burner and now the dvd-rom is the master on the secondary ide. i have also gone and bought new round 80 wire ide cables for the drives. could it be a driver issue? i'm at a loss to think of what to do next...!

13. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Could possibly be driver. Could also be a fluke with your OS. Had something similar happen with my cdrw.
    JM2

14. GripS

GripS

Round cables are nice but cheap ones can cause issues with "cross talk". I prefer to fold my flat cables as they are reliable and cheap.

15. hrtbob

hrtbob Thread Starter

I only went the round to guarantee an 80 wire connection. I have just had my first luck with the drive *touch wood not the last.* I have placed the burner as the slave drive on the ide0 channel, not what i thought was recommended but it works. Perhaps the problem lies within my ide controllers.

How would i expose and/ or fix that problem?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!