1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can share but can't access shared drives

Discussion in 'Networking' started by juma, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. juma

juma Thread Starter

We have a small home network, 4 computers, running XP Professional. We can share all drives across the network but we can not access those ‘shared’ drives. No error message is displayed, rather when you click on a shared drive nothing happens. The computer emits a beep sound – the same sound you get when you make an error.

When we create a PGP file off of a drive which can not be accessed and then open that PGP file and share a directory from the PGP it can be accessed.

Other files or directories on the inaccessible drive can not be accessed. The only point of access is the PGP file once it has been opened and shared.

It makes no difference whether the drive is external or not.

We have admin rights
    Simple file sharing is off
    We’re running NTFS
    CACLS shows that we have full rights of files on the inaccessible drives
    Internet works fine
    The network functions perfectly except for this problem

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
    Juma

2. JonathanAnon

JonathanAnon Banned

The PC that has the shared folder - does it have firewall turned on. If so then turn it off to see if this is causing the problem. If there is any other firewall on this PC, turn this off as well.

Also are you sure that the PCs can see each other. The PC that has the shared folder - find it's hostname and find the share name.

then try to PING it from one of the other PCs (again with the firewall off).
    PING hostname

and when you find the share name try to connect to it using the NET USE command

NET USE r: \\hostname\sharename

and see what happens.

3. juma

juma Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. To answer your questions: Firewall is turned off; the PCs can see each other; pinging works just fine; NET USE command returned on seen drives but non-accessible drives the error 1130 (IRPStackSize too small)???

Additional, information - what is odd is that it doesn't matter whether the drive I'm trying to share is a local drive or from another computer. For instance, drive S:\ is an external drive connected to my computer via USB and to which I have full access. However, if I share S:\ and then try to access it via the network I no longer have access.

Juma

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

1 Exit all programs.
    2 On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
    3 In the Run dialog box, type the following text: regedit
    4 Click OK.
    5 Navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    6 In the right pane, right-click the value IRPStackSize.
    7 Click Delete.
    8 Click Yes.
    9 Close the Registry Editor.

Reboot the machine.

5. juma

juma Thread Starter

Thank you John for your response. I went into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters but did not see IRPStackSize so I created one by creating a new DWord and naming it IRPStackSize and giving it a value of 16. I rebooted and voila I can now access shared drives.

A big thank you to JonathanAnon for having suggested that I try to connect using NET USE. Otherwise I’d never have gotten the 1130 error and hence the solution. And likewise, thank you JohnWill for your suggestion for it would have led me to the correct solution in a step or two.

What a relief...

Best Regards,
    Juma

6. JohnWill

Glad you got it going. You might want to make that value 20 or 25, just to forestall future errors. :) I believe it can be up to 50 in XP.

7. juma

juma Thread Starter

Thank you for the advise. I will increase the size. As you say it may "forestall future errors". Again a big thank you. You've made what seemed an unsurmountable problem disappear like magic.
    Best Regards,
    Juma

8. JohnWill

No problem. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

9. juma

juma Thread Starter

Thank you for you suggestion about marking my own thread solved but try as I may I can't seem to follow your suggestion. I do not seem to see an "upper right hand corner" click thingy which I can click to indicate that I've now had a resolution to my seemingly unsurmountable problem. Could you walk me through that once again? Much appreciated, Juma

10. JohnWill

At the upper right hand side of the web page, there is a Thread Tools link. Pulling it down will reveal a Solved link, the last one on the pulldown. BTW, you won't have all the extra stuff like Close, Move, Edit, Delete, Stick, etc. :)

Attached Files:

• tt1.jpg
      tt1.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  11. juma

juma Thread Starter

It seems that I don't have the option to close this ticket. I've attached a capture of the 2 options I have.:confused:

Attached Files:

12. JohnWill

OK, I'll marked it solved, and we'll look into why this doesn't work for you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice