1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can some explain CrossfireX a little please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kungfuturtle, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kungfuturtle

kungfuturtle Thread Starter

Basically I understand that it allows something like upto 4 GPUs to be combined into an uber GPU. You see I prefer ATI to NVIDIA (no debate needed hehe) and am looking into building a Xfirex system. I hear ASUS is the best mobo manufacture and i've always liked them anyway. Whats a good mobo with Xfirex that will allow me to combine 2 ATI graphics using a bridge? The thing I don't understand is that I have found some but they have 2x pcie slots but say blue @ 16x, black @8x. I really don;t understand if Xfirex runs at 8x as ive heard GPUs run at 16x but dual cards run a 8x,8x. Is this correct? I have a budget of £100 for a decent mobo and i'm in the UK
    Thanks!

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. BG-0

BG-0

ASUS is totally not the best mb mfg today. It used to be great, but today they nearly suck.

The cheap SLI / CF boards only come with 16 x / 8x or 8x / 8x speeds, the higher end ones have dual, or more, 16 x slots. I don't know how much it will impact the performance to have the other one @ 8x, at least don't get anything that runs the other slot at 4x speed.

Here's an example of a xfire board. http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...press+Socket+775+Motherboard+?productId=33329

4. kungfuturtle

Thanks for that, was very helpful :) Hmm ok I guess dual 16x would go over my budget? If so how much by? Thanks

5. BG-0

BG-0

6. kungfuturtle

Thanks, that third one seems perfect a little over budget but atleast I know ill be happy :) However if theres one a little cheaper with dual slots that would be even better? Sorry to make you do all the work. Thanks though your really helping a lot.

7. kungfuturtle

8. BG-0

BG-0

9. kungfuturtle

Ok decision is I will :) and the CPU I was thinking of getting is either an:

Intel Core 2 Duo 8500 3.16Ghz £130 (45nm)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz £120 (65nm)
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.0Ghz £115 (45nm)

Which would you choose? Don;t really know difference between 45 and 65nm

Thanks this is the last question :D

10. BG-0

BG-0

Wait, wait. That one at eclipse I linked would be a better buy if it is what they say it is. The Gigabyte site is a PITA, being absolutely sluggish.

Okay, the eclipse one has 8x crossfire. Another but!!: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252455-15-crossfire-worth It seems really much that the extra price for dual 16x board isn't actually worth it... Which GFXs are you planning to use?

11. kungfuturtle

but aren't the slots different speeds again?

Looks like we have a good motherboard then :) For a processor still between those 3. Im not so sure about quad cores though. GFXs? If thats for graphics cards im thinking of getting 2x ATI Radeon 3850 after all I don't games that require a lot of juice.

12. BG-0

BG-0

Anyways. I would choose the Q6600. Dual cores might be outdated in a while. And 6600 is a good overclocker too. And great without OCing too.

13. BG-0

BG-0

14. kungfuturtle

Ok then thanks for all help! Now I know what to get. Thanks again :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756947

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice