Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Can some explain CrossfireX a little please?

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  kungfuturtle 
#1 ·
Basically I understand that it allows something like upto 4 GPUs to be combined into an uber GPU. You see I prefer ATI to NVIDIA (no debate needed hehe) and am looking into building a Xfirex system. I hear ASUS is the best mobo manufacture and i've always liked them anyway. Whats a good mobo with Xfirex that will allow me to combine 2 ATI graphics using a bridge? The thing I don't understand is that I have found some but they have 2x pcie slots but say blue @ 16x, black @8x. I really don;t understand if Xfirex runs at 8x as ive heard GPUs run at 16x but dual cards run a 8x,8x. Is this correct? I have a budget of £100 for a decent mobo and i'm in the UK
Thanks!

#3 ·
ASUS is totally not the best mb mfg today. It used to be great, but today they nearly suck.

The cheap SLI / CF boards only come with 16 x / 8x or 8x / 8x speeds, the higher end ones have dual, or more, 16 x slots. I don't know how much it will impact the performance to have the other one @ 8x, at least don't get anything that runs the other slot at 4x speed.

Here's an example of a xfire board. http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...press+Socket+775+Motherboard+?productId=33329

#5 ·
#9 ·
#10 ·
Wait, wait. That one at eclipse I linked would be a better buy if it is what they say it is. The Gigabyte site is a PITA, being absolutely sluggish.

Okay, the eclipse one has 8x crossfire. Another but!!: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252455-15-crossfire-worth It seems really much that the extra price for dual 16x board isn't actually worth it... Which GFXs are you planning to use?

#11 ·
but aren't the slots different speeds again?

Looks like we have a good motherboard then :) For a processor still between those 3. Im not so sure about quad cores though. GFXs? If thats for graphics cards im thinking of getting 2x ATI Radeon 3850 after all I don't games that require a lot of juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.