1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can someone assist me with a networked printer problem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by maggierose, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maggierose

maggierose Thread Starter

History
    Two days ago, I tried to print on my network printer and the computer showed that the printer was offline. After a few hours of working things out I was able to get the printer back online. Bascially I had to remove the printer from "devices and printers" and somehow it installed itself. I was happy, I was able to print :) I sat the pritner as default.

Here is the problem.

There are two computers on the network.

Computer A, which only has the network printer and Computer B which has a local printer connected to it. When I set the network printer to default on computer A, it becomes default on Computer B as well. I do not want this. I want Computer A to have the wifi printer default and computer B to have the local printer default.

But everytime I set the default on computer b to the local computer, it removes the default network printer on computer A.

What am I doing wrong? If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Thank you in advanced,

Maggie

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    This makes no sense to me; I must be missing something or making a bad assumption. My interpretation is that you make a setting that is local to one computer and it somehow impacts another.

Are any of my following assumptions wrong?

By "network printer" I assume you mean a printer that is connected to a router by ethernet, Wi-Fi or USB, and to nothing else.

By "local printer" I assume you mean a different physical printer from the "network printer"; and that it is connected by USB to Computer B and nothing else.

3. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Another question to clarify.....Are both computers on/accessing the same network? If so, do both computers access the networked printer?

4. maggierose

Both computers are connected to the same wireless network, and yes by local printer, I mean a printer that is connected to the computer via a usb cord and the other printer is connected wirelessly to the router. It is a network printer...

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for the clarification and confirmation. I have no clue how those problems can happen. :(

6. maggierose

I actually solved it. I simply unshared the printer on the network. Now Computer B can have its separate default printer and computer A can have its separate default printer. I don't know what that would have to do with anything, but it seemed to work. This may only be a temporary solution, but it appears to be working.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A network printer (connected directly to the router) need not be shared with another computer unless that other computer cannot connect to the network the printer is on. So, if on either or both computers you shared the network printer you opened up possibilities for confusion.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice