Solved: Can someone hack my computer with just an IP address?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Number 18

Well someone stole my email :mad:

I only added 1 friend like 2 months ago whom she didn't accept my invite (thanks to msn plus it tells you everything)
Anyways, you can call me a loser but I don't chat anywhere no messenger no skype no...anything so I'm spyware/virus free

today I opened my messenger but it won't let me it kept telling me wrong password
so I opened hotmail.com and entered my password surprisingly it said you have tried many times please try again later which obviously means someone was desperately trying to steal it

And that email address was never used in any other website nor have I sent any email from it!
Nor have I ever downloaded any spyware or opened any strange email with links or attachments.

Also my password wasn't easy it consisted of letter and shifted symbols.

And this is a personal laptop so know one use it beside me!

So how was it possible for it to be hacked?
Did the IP address help?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
What IP address? Anybody can go to the site hotmail.com using any computer with internet access. If they know or guess a hotmail email account name they can start guessing passwords.

Were you able to log in to Hotmail in the end?

Hotmail is accessible to anyone thru the web and anyone could have attempted to guess your password. That is different from hacking your computer. That is, they don't have to hack your computer in order to hack your hotmail.

Number 18

@TerryNet
My IP address, and my password isn't an easy one really.

@lunarlander
No the first time I got this message "You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect e-mail address or password."
So you're saying you can't hack a computer even if you have an IP address?

@Triple6
Thanks,
there's just noway he could have guesses my password it wasn't just letters! Even the secret answer was just some random letters e.g. jbfkjehbjerhf something like that.

Yea, I did fill that form yesterday still waiting for the reply.

So bottom line: Can my computer be hacked if someone has my IP address or not?

Number 18

I searched and I kept getting the netstat -a or netstat - n or netstat -nao

what exactly should I be looking for? and how accurate are they?

thanks

Did you accept any files from anyone on Msn while you used it?

If somones on your internet network, its alot easier to 'hack' your computer.
If your talking about external threats, would be alot harder because all the computers on your network should be masked using NAT.

Hacking is alot harder and time consuming than films and tv makes out.
If your intrested, i suggest reading hacking exposed.
Might give you some suggestions in how to secure your pc in the future, or things to avoid doing while online.
I suggest just keep everything updated aswell.

It is annoying when you get virsus though, im trying to fix someone elses laptop and i think its had it and a reinstall of Windows would be quicker.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I searched and I kept getting the netstat -a or netstat - n or netstat -nao

what exactly should I be looking for? and how accurate are they?

thanks
From the other thread that you started about 15 minutes ago.

Stick with this thread and don't start another thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't chat anywhere no messenger no skype no...anything so I'm spyware/virus free
Just because you no longer chat doesn't mean your computer is spyware/virus free.

What are you using to combat viruses and spyware/malware?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Number 18

@spiers
Nope. I know its hard but experienced hackers can do it.
Thanks.

@flavallee
I know but they're many question and I'm worried they'll be overlooked.
I use kaspersky internet security and spyware doctor.

I asked someone if anyone can hack with an IP and said no unless you have a conversation with them (at least 15 mins)
Is it true?

Who is this someone?
What he says sounds like rubbish to me.
If Msn did show the IP address of your contact why would you have to wait 15 minutes?

If you dont accept files from your contacts you should be ok.
Any decent firewall would stop hackers anyway..

Triple6

First Name
Rob
I've merged your second thread with this one yet again. Please do NOT start new threads when you already have this one going. You can continue to ask about being "hacked" here.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
If you are connecting directly to the internet (no router) and not using a firewall then you will be "hacked." The bad guys don't bother with gathering individual IP addresses, they run programs that automatically probe to find any computer connected to the internet that is not protected. If you are using a firewall, including the one included in Windows XP/Vista/7, or running behind a router you cannot be attacked this way.

As several of us have stated already anybody with internet access can try to login to your hotmail account. You said the message is "too many attempts." That is different from saying that somebody was successful in logging in to your account. It just means that somebody was guessing (or using a program to generate passwords) and after n incorrect attempts Hotmail put a temporary lock on the account.

Will it accept your password now?

Answer to the first question is yes. The Blaster worm in 2003 did exactly that. It was sent to random IP's, and if there was no firewall or router, it got right in. The author of the worm was caught and got 18 months. Windows had to issue an update to stop it. Today, a worm like that wouldn't post a "I Love You" message like Blaster. It would install a keylogger. Yes, a router, firewall, and security software can stop this. It would be hard for many people to get cracked while chatting online, but there are still PC's out there where it can be done.

How else could they get your passwords? If you never opened an email or downloaded junk, then you may have gone to a corrupt web site and gotten a drive-by-download. You no longer have to click a link to get malware. Just being on a webpage and having a vulnerable browser will do it. All but the latest versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox have known security holes. In fact, Firefox came out with 3.6.2 earlier last week. By the end of the week, they had to issue version 3.6.3 because someone had already blown a hole thru 3.6.2. Your Kaspersky/Norton/AVG/etc might be able to stop the software from a drive-by. Might not. And you say you don't go to bad sites? Hackers live to compromise webservers so they can insert bad links in honest sites. You never know.

So if your emails are truly stolen, you might assume the worst and see to cleaning up your PC.

Sorry if I sound like the voice of doom. Someone stole my credit card number and rang up $200 playing Warcraft online last Friday. I don't think it was an online job, but VISA caught the billing and stopped my card.

Hackers can start hacking if they have an ip address. But what you have expereinced does not necessarily mean they have hacked your PC. They could be just be going to hotmail directly and trying to guess your password. When hotmail says "you have tried to sign in too many times" , that "you" does not mean your PC specifically, its just means "somebody".

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
Number 18:

You might consider closing your current account and creating a new account with a new username and new password.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online