Solved: Can spammers by tracked?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Aquarian

Of all the message boards I've visited on a regular basis, I've only ever seen spam on one, here: http://www.noeltyl.com/cgibin/index.cgi He is a world famous author and obviously has acquired an enemy or two. Most of the spam appears as the one below with only the last three letters following abby changed.

good work
abbyxfh -- Thursday, 11 January 2007, at 4:29 a.m.

In view source there is no IP. Sometimes there are only 1 or 2, sometimes 20 at a same time with maybe one or two minutes in between. They mostly come during the normal dinner hour PST and during their late night, early morning hours while he'd be sleeping, but occasionally 1 or 2 randomly throughout the day. This poor man has a full time job just deleting the spam while moderating his forum. If there is any way to track this person, Tyl and all his participants could surely benefit from the knowledge. The harassment is non stop. Is there any help available for this problem?

Aquarian

Well, I sort of answered my own question. In looking further, I see, when I view source that there is an IP address for each of these spam posts. Then I found the following addresses for tracking the server for any IP address so I thought I'd share. They even tell you if the address is portable or not. I would assume the portable ones are cell phones. Is that true?

For North America
http://ws.arin.net/whois/?queryinput=200.168.118.53+

For other areas of the world look at the bottom of the page for Other WHOIS Servers with their links.

The contact phone and email for abuse is listed for any server in the world.

The same process can be done with any email. View full header, get IP then search and report, sending them the full header email with contents.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online