1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can System Restore in XP be wiped clean of all previous restore points?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by neos1, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

I wanted to see what was in some of the restore points of 2005,
    so I restored back to a previous date and found software,
    photos and things that I thought had been completely erased.
    Is there a way to completely erase everything that is in system restore?

2. Sponsor

3. Augie65

Augie65

Start> Run> type: sysdm.cpl then hit OK. On System Restore tab> check the box: Turn off System Restore on all drives and then Apply and Ok. Click Yes when you receive the prompt to the turn off System Restore. (Warning) This will delete all restore points. You will need to go back and turn System Restore back on.

4. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Once I have turned off system restore, how do I erase what has been stored?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As stated above, turning it off erases the system restore points. I usually reboot to ensure that, before turning it back on.

6. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Okay, thanks

7. Star Raker58

Star Raker58

You can also remove all but the most recent restore point by doing the following :-

Open my computer
    Right click 'C' Drive assuming this to be the drive where XP resides
    Click Properties/Disc Cleanup/More Options and then 'Remove all but the most recent restore point'

Not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but hopefully will help. (y)

8. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

I knew about turning off the system restore point and the disc cleanup utility, I appreciate
    being reminded of it though but I didn't just want the disk space "earmarked" for deletion
    I actually wanted to wipe the disk space with many 1's and 0's so as to have a clean
    as in no can restore info.

9. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

I haven't used for it a few years but I think 'Diskeeper' had an option to zero free space.
    Like I said it's been a while so maybe I'm wrong.

10. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

removed because I double posted

11. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Do you mean going into System Properties>System Restore and then turning down the Disk
    Usage and then doing a disk clean?

12. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi,

System Restore does not monitor image or data files. They should still be there.

It's a bad idea to restore a system back more than a week or two anyway.

And rather than erasing restore points, as long as the restore was performed in normal mode, you would have been able to undo the process.

I would suggest taking a look at the following site for more information on SR.

All About System Restore in WinXP
    http://bertk.mvps.org/

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

There are plenty of free utilities to wipe the free space on your computer. I use UltraWipe but you can use Eraser or one of the many freely available utilities to do this.

If you want to wipe the whole disk, use Dban.

14. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Hi Squashman,

Am I wrong in thinking that the space on the disk where System restore resides is protected
    by XP? For some reason thought that it was in the partition that XP hides. If I could
    say it another way, I have a 160GB hardrive but that is not what registers when Everest
    tells me that I have a 149GB harddrive.

Even so, by removing the restore points, doesn't that just "earmark" the data for deletion
    or does it just remove the tags that protect the data from being overwritten? It doesn't
    remove the data.

So if that hasn't been confusing enoughe, here is the actuall question. I've downloaded Ultrawipe but
    I don't know what or how to go about finding the data segments that I want erased.

15. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi,

System Restore holds it's restore points and other files in the SVI (System Volume Information) folder. There will be a SVI folder located on all non hidden partitions weather SR is set to monitor them or not. As far as protection, the SVI folder is super-hidden by default, and you will need to configure the Folder Options to show all hidden and protected files. If your partition is formatted as NTFS, then you'll need to allow yourself access to the System Volume Information folder and it's sub-folders. The following steps will allow you access to the SVI folder. At this point, the SVI folder can be treated like any other folder. Be aware that deleting selected file or folder within the SVI folder will surly corrupt any remaining restore points and cause SR top fail to restore the system. So either delete everything in SVI folder, or nothing.

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
    4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.
    5. Clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. This option is not available in Windows XP Home Edition. Warning This may have negative effects on system connected to a network, and possibility the network itself.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Properties.
    8. Click the Security tab.
    9. Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK, and then click OK again.
    10. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

Note: Remember to hide the hidden System Files when done.

16. neos1

neos1 Thread Starter

Bert Kinney,

This is the information I was looking for. At this point, I will only save this to my XP Tweaks file for later use.

Thanks Bert for sharing your expertise.

Thom

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/456282