1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can`t enable TRIM function on SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fantastik, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fantastik

fantastik Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need help about TRIM function on my Kingston SSD NOW V300 Series, motherboard Asrock N68C-GS FX, OS Windows 8.1 Pro x 64.
    Excuse me for my poor english.
    So HDD Sentinel show me performance 80% and TRIM function is supported from SSD, but disabled in Windows and i need upgrade. This show me HDD Sentinel.
    Then i checked in CMD is it TRIM disabled with this comand:
    fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
    TRIM is enabled, according to CMD
    I did all steps from this two sites below:
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/39569-trim-support...
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/52774-enable-disable...
    Resolution on ACPI HPET table in my BIOS, but nothing...
    Forbade defragmentation and hybernation, still 80% performance on HDD Sentinel.
    May be just the motherboard does not support TRIM enabled?
    Because i want best SSD performane 100%, not 80%.
    Thanks in advance!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What does it show when you when you type "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" without quotes into the cmd prompt?

Remember just because TRIM is enabled, you will not see an instant improvement in performance. TRIM works when the system is idle ie overnight. You would need to leave it ON overnight; preferably logged OFF.
    After a few days, do another performance test. Running multiple benchmarks on a ssd is NOT a good idea. So if you are doing that, stop.

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

I wondered about that ---
    will Prime95 throttle down a SSD ????

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. It is a disk benchmark that will cause throttling IF you run a lot of them. Running a cpu/ram program will not harm the ssd.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's very possible that the motherboard's lousy 9 year chipset doesn't properly allow TRIM to work, especially on an unsupported OS such as Windows 8.1.

You will never get "100%" of your SSD's performance on that motherboard; you have a SATA III SSD and the motherboard only supports SATA II. I should point out that most people don't consistently get the full speeds as benchmarks or listed by the manufacturer; those are in most cases the best possible results obtained under the best conditions. But SATA II is limited to 300MB/s and the V300's are rated for 450MB/s, and in real work you'll get less than than the max supported by the controller.

If you want to stay with AMD and get better performance out of the system you will need to scrap that motherboard and get a more modern one with an AMD chipset such as the AMD 990/980/970 and even those aren't that new but at least support SATA III.

If you stay with your current motherboard, make sure you have not installed the NVidia chipset/SATA drivers but are using the native Windows 8.1 drivers. The NVidia chipset drivers will not allow TRIM to work on certain nForce chipset, such as the 680a which doesn't even support AHCI. Go to Device Manager and uninstall the nVidia SATA driver if it's present aand be sure to check the box that says to delete the driver, reboot and let Windows reinstall it's basic driver. The NVidia chipset drivers will not allow TRIM to work on certain nForce chipset, such as the 680a which doesn't even support AHCI.

6. fantastik

fantastik Thread Starter

Good answers crjdriver and Triple6, but with another motherboad Acer Aspire M1200/3200/5200 HDD Sentinel show me 100% performance, again with the same Windows 8 and the same SSD.
    CMD show TRIM is enabled with both two computers DisableDeleteNotify = 0
    It becomes to be too difficult. The Aser Aspire mobo is Sata2 too. The problem is not into SSD firmware, because on the Aspire M1200/3200 mobo show 100% performance and TRIM is enabled.
    How i remember good in the past with Asrock N68C-GS FX with another SSD, and another OS- Windows 7 on Sentinel was all 100%, thats why i wonder why now the performance is 80%.
    You know-everybody want to have powerfull computer.

7. fantastik

fantastik Thread Starter

It looks to be realy motherboard problem, like Sata support problem or drivers.
    Something like this answer, just founded into the net:
    "If you installed Windows without AHCI as the sata mode in the bios, it will not pass TRIM commands"

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well SATA II will limit the SSD's performance regardless of what the program says, maybe it's basing it's 100% on the capability of the SATA controller. Do an actual speed test and see what the actual read and write speeds are and compare them to the specs of the SSD.

The 680a chipset doesn't support AHCI properly, however TRIM can work with IDE mode.

9. fantastik

fantastik Thread Starter

Very good information. I shut mark this post as solved.
    Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!