1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can Win 7 Backup Utility Make Copy Drive BOOTABLE??

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by zapp22, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

Folks I'm new to Win7. I used the Windows 7 Backup utility to backup the entire primary drive to a new bigger drive [basically 'cloning', so I thought]. As I suspected, it put most of the files there, but its not bootable.
    Error "BOOTMGR Not Found"

So two questions:
    1. Do I need to use a third party utility? or can Windows 7 Utility make a bootable image?
    2. Can the current image on the backup drive be fixed/added-to/bootable??? or do I wipe out and start over.

?

2. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

well, for anyone searching and coming across this, I'm assuming for now the answer is a big fat "NO".
    it makes a nice copy of a lot of data, but I can find no option, and no way, to make it bootable short of a lot of command line hacking. Using the Windows 7 RE to "Repair Startup Files" per knowledgebase at Microsoft does no good. Using "EasyBCD" to attempt to repair it did no good either, despite the "All Done!" message it returned on the execution.

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

Looks like I got it.
    took a combination of steps.
    [this is why people buy Apple...]

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The windows backup utility can not be used to clone a drive. You can backup a drive, then restore the backup, but can't directly clone to a new drive.

Click Start | Help and Support
    Search on Restore your computer from a system image backup

This lists three different methods to use.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

:rolleyes:

Explain to me how Restoring a System Image using Time Machine is any different then how Windows 7 does it?

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

The key difference is that using Time Machine costs a lot more.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you are going to be cloning drives, I highly recommend you buy acronis true image. Acronis is like snap-on tools; it just flat works no problems.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice