1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can you advise me whether to get a wireless or wired router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wallenberg, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

I have two PCs and a very fast cable connection. I would like to get either a switch or router so that I can use both PCs to access the net at the same time.

Can anyone explain to me what is a switch? It sounds like a way to use one PC or the other but not both at the same time.

Also can anyone please advise me what are the pros and cons of a wireless router vs a wired router?

I also got a new Sony DVD player (Actually a Blu-Ray player) and it has a connection so that I can plug the Internet into that DVD player (I think it's called an Ethernet connection?).

I've been told I can use this DVD player to access Youtube and play their video files. Can I plug both PCs as well as this DVD player into the router and use them all at the same time?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what has your cable company supplied - it may already be a router

you need a router to share the connection between a few PCs - you can add a switch to a router to enable more than the normal 4 Ethernet connections

wireless can suffer from interference where as a cable connection will not
    wireless has no cables - so you are not limited other than the range of the wireless where you have the devices , as its not always possible to run the cable to where the devices are

so you have two PCs and a DVD player
    do any of them have a wireless adapter - available , if not then to use wireless each would need a wireless adapter

what type of PCs are they - laptops , desktop
    it can be very convenient with a laptop to have a wireless connection and possible use anywhere in the home

the cost of a wireless router with 4 LAN connections is very small these days

to help us further

what is the make and model of the device you already have from the ISP for cable connection
    how are your current PCs connected

can you run cables between the ISP supplied device (modem/router) to all your PCs and DVD player

if you connect a PC to the ISP supplied modem/router and provide an ipconfig /all - that should tell us if its working as a router

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will now be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
    The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Wallenberg

Both PCs are desktop PCs.

My ISP is a wonderful company called TekSavvy Solutions. I have their top package (meaning the fastest speed for D/L and U/L). For $60 per month (plus tax) I get incredibly fast download and upload speeds (much much faster than I used to get from the Cable Company and I used to have their top package). In addition, I get unlimited download capability. I can D/L and U/L as much as I want and I'm never charged any extra for exceeding any limits.

My two PCs are 20 feet apart. One is in my living room and the other in my bed room.

The modem is right beside the PC in my bedroom but it can be moved into the living room. I have two cable outlets - one in the bedroom and one in the living room.

I purchased a modem from the ISP. It is a cable modem. The manufacturer is Thomson and the model number appears to be:

1 Technicolor DCM476 DOCSIS 3 Modem

This modem only has one connection for an Ethernet cable.

The above line was taken from my invoice for the modem and it appears that "DCM476" is the model number. I paid $99 for the modem.

Both of my PCs are relatively new. They both have Intel CPUs. I bought one recently that has 8GB memory, and an I-5 processor. It has a 2TB hard drive.

The other PC is about a year old and it has a smaller CPU and only 4GB memory. I bought the new one for a few reasons. One reason was that I really wanted USB 3.0 and there was no way I could get it on my older PC as it had no expansion slots available.

Also, lately I have been managing a lot of large video files and many operations were taking a long time on my older PC. I bought the new one from Best Buy. Let me see if I can find a link for you:

Here it is:

www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/acer-acer-desktop-computer-featuring-3rd-gen-intel-core-i7-3770-processor-am3970-eb22p-am3970-eb22p/10208831.aspx?path=c3921d68cb765b0e180b150cdd9c4818en02

The link to the older PC no longer exists. The new one is about three times faster than the old one.

Anyway, that is about all the info I have that I can give you.

Pls let me know if there is anything more you want to know?

4. Wallenberg

here is the ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Admin-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-67-8D-C7-44
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::55d5:af2e:f647:db1b%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 24.246.63.79(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.224
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : September-16-12 10:59:23 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : September-23-12 8:00:12 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::215:f9ff:fe2a:8dde%11
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 69.165.245.33
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234893415
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-B4-CE-B6-00-30-67-8D-C7-44
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 206.248.154.22
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2002:18f6:3f4f::18f6:3f4f(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 206.248.154.22
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{08409AC0-0BF8-430C-A22D-3523B6ECF133}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:30bf:30ae:e709:c0b0(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::30bf:30ae:e709:c0b0%12(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you have a modem - in which case you need a router to connect to that modem and provide interent to the other PC and DVD
    this is to connect to the cable service i assume

so now you need to see if you want to run an etherenet cable from the router to the modem and to all the devices - how easy would that be

would you also do a speed test - so we have an idea of the speed you are talking about
    www.speedtest.net

6. Wallenberg

OK. I will now do the speed test.

In the meantime, can anyone please advise me as to the general pros and cons of a wireless router vs a wired router.

I think I'd like, as much as possible, to avoid having cables strung between the two rooms and I'm thinking a wireless router would be preferable but first, I'd really appreciate a general understanding of the pros and cons of wireless vs wired routers.

OK. I'm off to do the speed test.

Here are the results:

PING 481 Ms
    D/L 9.79 Mbps
    U/L 0.32 Mbps

Please, can you tell me how those speeds compare to the typical cable modem speeds?
    Thank you.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know why anyone would buy a wired-only router when wireless routers are much more readily available, cost just as much if not less, and provide more functionality. Why are you even considering a wired-only router?

I have cable, and my download speeds are twice yours, and my upload is several times faster. And I pay less.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Only a wireless router provides Wi-Fi without an additional Wireless Access Point.

A wireless router often costs less, and is generally easier to find, than an equivalent wired only router.

A wireless router is more prone to unauthorized access and use unless the owner/administrator spends a minute or two to encrypt or disable the wireless radio.

9. Wallenberg

Always lovely to hear from you. And you never seem to miss an opportunity to inject your unique and nasty style into my threads.

Of course it would be more lovely if you actually posted something helpful instead of just trying to be nasty.

I would not object if you never again posted anything in any thread of mine.

Thanks so much.

10. Wallenberg

To anyone who may be interested, at the time I ran that speed test, I was running an app that was both uploading and downloading several large files.

I stopped that app and re-ran the speed test and the results were markedly different.

D/L - Before 9.79 Mbps - After - 29.40 Mbps
    U/L - Before 0.32 Mbps - After - 1.00 Mbps

I knew that my D/L speeds were much faster with this new ISP than with my old Cable service because I could see how much faster they were.

If there is one area of my PC usage with which I am thoroughly happy it is my decision to cancel my Cable subscription and to sign up with this new service.

It has been a tremendous improvement - especially the unlimited D/L capability and I have been extremely happy with the result.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped me with advice about my purchase of a router and will now mark this thread as "Solved".

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Glad to see that you realized that mistake and posted the corrected results. Those speed tests should always be run with essentially nothing else happening on your network or computer.

Almost all the help here came from others, but since I am the first to post now let me say: You're Welcome! :) Enjoy your new (wireless) router.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1069281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice