1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can You Help Me with Hotmail Please?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wallenberg, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wallenberg

Wallenberg Thread Starter

I have never had a Hotmail account before.

But I figured it couldn't be much of a problem to get one.

I went to www.hotmail.com and tried to sign up for a Hotmail account. But I was overwhelmed with something called "Windows Live" and I wound up with an email account that looked like this: [email protected]

Can anyone tell me how I can get an ordinary Hotmail acct that looks like: [email protected]?

MS has become a huge monster. Time after time they kept pushing all this "Live" extra software that they wanted me to download and install. It was scary.

They even tried to get me to d/l and install some Internet Explorer tool while informing me of the many "Dangers" associated with this thing. They actually seemed disappointed when I refused to let them install it.

Does anyone know what's gone wrong in the big monopoly in Bellvue? I just want a little email acct.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you need to have a hotmail account, gmail (google) www.google.com and click on mail is a better alternative, i have a hotmail account, but only use it for MSN - otherwise everytrhing is via gmail now
    looks like the new address is live mail now
    http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/

3. Wallenberg

I read some About.com review that said the new Hotmail has some of the best tools for routing mail and dealing with problem people.

I think it might be close to this here article: http://email.about.com/od/livemaildesktoptips/qt/et_get_hotmail.htm

I use Gmail and I think it is wonderful. The ability to manage all my email accounts from one Gmail acct is just out of this world. I love their mail forwarding capabilites.

What I want though, is to see just what capabilities this new Hotmail has and how it now compares to Gmail.

So, can anyone help me? Does anyone know how to get a "plain Jane" Hotmail account now?

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Hotmail has been rebranded as Windows Live Hotmail in order to make it an easily recognizable part of the new "Windows Live" initiative. While I'm not 100% positive I am pretty sure that @Hotmail.com is no longer available and new accounts are assigned the @live.com. Even those of us using a pre existing Hotmail account are now using the Windows Live Hotmail interface when logging on. I don't see your problem, its the same service just a different name.

edit - I agree with etaf, google mail seems a better alternative. I've only hung onto hotmail for the sake of messenger since starting to use it.

5. Wallenberg

My problem was that I didn't understand that and I needed someone to explain it to me. So, I thank you very much for telling me that and I'll try to go back and see if I can figure out just what forwarding capabilities the guy at About.com was talking about.

Thanks again.

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

If you need no further help, please go to Thread Tools and choose "Solved." That will indicate to folks that you no longer need assistance. The courtesy will be appreciated.

{redoak}

7. Wallenberg

Thank you redoak. I never realized there was such a feature.

I will use that from now on.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/688178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice