1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can you save file order in folder?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jpboyrox, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

I want to organise a folder and upload it to the web. When others download it I want to files/folders in that folder to be in a particular order. Is there a way to do this? I know you can save a "desktop.ini" to keep a particular folder icon so is there something similar to this that I can do to keep the folder order?
    Thanks

2. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    No, the settings on the server and the downloaded machine can over ride the settings that you have on your machine.

4. jpboyrox

jpboyrox Thread Starter

well could you save it anyway for flash drive transport?

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    NO, the settings can be used by the different machine, and display them according to those settings.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The order that files/folders are displayed is controlled by the PC viewing the files/folders.
    You could make a web page with individual links to the files and control the order the links are displayed, but anything that accesses a directory as a list of files will be displayed according to the preferences set on the individual PC. Details, List, Icons, sort by name, by date, groups, ascending, descending, etc.

The settings for each folder are stored in the registry, but the actuall key used will be different on each PC, as Windows assigns the keys on a first come first served basis, so the key used will depend on the exact order that folders have been viewed and customized on each PC.

There are third party tools that can save and restore your desktop layout, there may be some that will save all folders, but I don't know if they can transfer those settings to another PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice