1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cancelled Thunderbird update. Computer won't shut down now.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by imawriter, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

Thunderbird offered an update. I clicked OK to get it and then changed my mind after waiting for something to happen and clicked Cancel. I did this a couple of times. That window is staying on my screen...a couple of hours now... and I can't get rid of it. I tried to shut down computer by hand and it won't shut down.

How do I get out of this and shut down my computer?

Thanks in advance.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Perhaps you can kill the process in your Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL)?

Under the Processes tab, there might be a thunderbird.exe process?

3. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I checked and there is no Thunderbird.exe there. I also tried System Restore, thinking that going back to yesterday might solve the problem.

When the screen came back on I tried going to my Thunderbird mail and the window insert from Thunderbird came back up anyway. I had already typed my problem there and am guessing or hoping that they are working on it.

So I wait. Thanks anyway.

Any other ideas?

4. Phantom010

Is the Thunderbird window coming back after System Restore?

If it is,

1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

For Windows 7 and Vista:

If Windows is denying access to the Hosts file, run HijackThis as Administrator or disable the UAC first.

5. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

No, I cannot get on Thunderbird, even after System Restore. The on-screen window insert from Mozilla says the following:

Mozilla Crash Reporter - "We're sorry. Thunderbird had a problem and crashed. Tell Mozilla about this crash so they can fix it." Details box.- Then I checked"Allow Mozilla to contact me about this report." Then it asked for my e-mail address and I typed my Thunderbird e-mail address.

"Your crash report will be submitted before you check quit or restart." I clicked "Restart.

Note: I tried this twice when I didn't hear anything. The second time I typed in my alternate e-mail address at another site in case they wanted to use that one to contact me.

No contact yet and I still can't get on Thunderbird.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Try starting Thunderbird in Safe Mode. Start>Programs>Mozilla Thunderbird>Mozilla Thunderbird(Safe Mode).

Also, what is your OS (XP, Vista, Win 7, etc)?

7. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I tried to start Thunderbird in Safe Mode following your directions, but as soon as I click on Thunderbird under Programs, it goes to the same Thunderbird crash info window, which takes me nowhere.

My OS is Windows XP.

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Can you reboot the computer since doing the System Restore?
    Any other problems other than T-bird failing to start?

9. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

I just shut down my computer, waited about a minute and restarted it. I still get the same crash window when I click on Thunderbird. There don't appear to be any other problems other than Thunderbird failing to start.

10. Phantom010

Why not simply uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Thunderbird?

Don't forget to backup important emails and contacts first.

11. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

How can I backup important e-mails and contacts if I can't get to myThunderbird screen? I have many, many personal and professional contacts and probably about 20 individual folders.

12. Phantom010

13. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Make a copy of your Profile folder.
    Click Start>Run.
    In the Run box, type %APPDATA%\Thunderbird\Profiles and click OK.
    The folder that opens is the Parent Profile folder and any folders inside represent individual Profiles.
    If there is more than 1 Profile, do the following with each one.

Open the Profile folder. You should see the folders Extensions, Mail, possibly a couple of other folders and a quantity of individual files. You need to copy everything.
    To do that, click Edit>Select All then Edit>Copy.

Go to the desktop and right click an empty spot and click New>Folder.
    Name the folder Backup.
    Open Backup and click Edit>Paste.
    That should give you an exact duplicate if the Profile folder.

If you need to do other Profiles, name the new folders you create on the desktop Backup1, Backup2, etc.

Try uninstalling Thunderbird. Leave your personal data if given the choice.
    If it fails, you'll need to manually delete the Thunderbird Program files.

Then reinstall.

Anything that's missing can be recovered from the backups.

14. imawriter

imawriter Thread Starter

The one I understood best was how to "Find Your Mozilla Thunderbird Profile Directory. I did what it said , went to the Thunderbird folder and clicked on Profiles. I clicked on Mail, then Local Folders.

When I clicked on several of these folders I kept getting one of two options: One began with "Open With" and I didn't know which one to choose,so I picked Thunderbird. Bad choice. The same old Thunderbird crash report window came up. I picked another folder and got "Windows cannot open this file." So I clicked on "Use the Web service to find the appropriate program." At any rate, I'm simply not technically knowledgeable enough to understand all this.

I guess I will have to wait and hope that Thunderbird gets back to me with a solution unless there is something simpler for me to do.

15. Phantom010

Read the above post from throoper.

Thanks for the summary, throoper! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice