1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot able to open Excel 2007 file from Desktop

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by vinwin06, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vinwin06

vinwin06 Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am trying to open Excel 2007 (.xlsx) format file from desktop, but i cannot able to open the particular file. If i try with open with and select the Excel file from program files also cannot able to open it.

I did not get any error message regarding the same.

And also if right click on desktop and select new also there is option for creating Microsoft excel file. I don't know what i can do it for solve this issue.

Please help me on this.

Regards,

Vinoth

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

What version of Excel do you have? If you have 2003 (or older) you will need to install an add-in (free) that will convert a 2007 format file to and older regular .xls format. The add-in (called the Compatibility Pack) can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...70-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en
    As for the second item, the option under New, Excel Worksheet - that is normal and just a quick shortcut to making new files (there should be the same option for other programs also.)

3. vinwin06

vinwin06 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Slurpee. But i already installed that file converter also. But still i can't able to open the file. Actually i can able to open the excel 2003 files. The problem is only on excel 2007 files.

And one more thing if i open the excel in 2007 and save it also the same result.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

You never told me what version of Excel you have - 2003? 2007? Do you actually have Excel? If you have more than one version of Excel installed (say, 2003 and 2007) the link to open the file may be drawing upon the wrong version.

5. vinwin06

vinwin06 Thread Starter

I have only excel 2007 installed in my system.

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Ok, that's really confusing, then. First, you shouldn't have installed the converter pack - all it does is change, say, an xlsx file to an xls one, and 2007 natively opens (and saves as) xlsx format. It also opens xls files automatically.
    What happens if you open Excel 2007 and then try to open the file from within Excel - does that work?

7. vinwin06

vinwin06 Thread Starter

Yes its working. but what i need do to open directly the particular excel file?

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

You need to see what program is registered with the xlsx file type. In XP you did that by opening a folder, then going to Tools, Folder Options, but if you have Vista or 7 you will need to find out the equivalent. An xlsx file should be called something like "Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Workbook" and be associated with Excel 2007.

9. vinwin06

vinwin06 Thread Starter

Im using windows 7 so how to find out the equivalent?

10. slurpee55

slurpee55

11. vinwin06

vinwin06 Thread Starter

Thnaks slurpee i got the answer from the second link you provided. I changed the "Regedit" path to the new one, now its working fine . thank you so much for your support.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971222

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice