1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot access bios setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Palok, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Palok

Palok Thread Starter

I have a new motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, Rev 3.0, with an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor.

When I turn on the machine, the screen shows a blinking cursor for a few seconds, then sounds a single, normal beep; then the screen goes just black for a few seconds; then it attempts to boot.

It does NOT show the Gigabyte start-up splash screen, or give me any chance to get to the bios setup menu as it usually would.

It WILL boot my operating system successfully, though no USB or network devices work and I see some various hardware-like errors in the logs. So the bios is there, just not the bios setup menu.

If I try hitting delete or F2 while booting up to try to go to the bios setup menu, it will instead go the a blank blue frozen screen and need to be hard reset.

I've tried this with two different power supplies, two different cpus. I have two memory sticks, and I've tried it with both, and with each alone. Same result.

I've removed all hardware except the bare minimum, booting with only video card, monitor, memory, cpu, and DVD (to boot from). Same result.

It seems to me like there is something wrong with the motherboard. At least I can't think of anything else. What's even more odd is that I had this same problem previously, RMA'd the motherboard to Newegg, got a new one, and I'm having the same identical problem.

Anyone have an idea what the heck is going on here?

P.S. - Last time, I tried resetting the CMOS as directed by Gigabyte (by connecting a jumper). But after I did that the board was even worse, it not only would not get to the bios setup menu, it wouldn't boot anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally flummoxed at this point.

2. ajkane

ajkane

Have you tried a BIOS update?

If you have version 1 (Doesn't say "Ultra Durable" on the box) download it from here:
    Beta BIOS (Improves AHCI but might not be stable): http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-970a-d3_f12c.exe
    Stable BIOS (No AHCI improvement but is 100% stable or at least should be): http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-970a-d3_f11.exe

If you have version 3 (Says "Ultra Durable" on the box) download it from here: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-970a-d3_v.3.x_fc.exe

3. dai

dai

[P.S. - Last time, I tried resetting the CMOS as directed by Gigabyte (by connecting a jumper). But after I did that the board was even worse, it not only would not get to the bios setup menu, it wouldn't boot anymore.

this sounds like you left the jumper on the clear position

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

of both power supplies

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

4. Palok

Palok Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, hope you can help. Not sure what you mean by above. I followed the instructions in the manual when I reset the CMOS. There is a jumper (that is, two pins) called CLR_CMOS on the motherboard, and the manual said "To clear the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds. Always turn off your computer and unplug the power before clearing the CMOS values." So I did just that (last time) and afterwards, as I mentioned, the board would neither go to the bios setup menu nor boot nor do anything, lol.

I also (previously) tried removing the CMOS battery, resetting it again, of course, with no luck.

video card brand and model is NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
    cpu - AMD Phenom II x4 965
    m/board - GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 Rev 3.0
    ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    power supply - Rosewill RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail
    previous power supply - epower ep-500ne-xv 500W

The previous power supply works fine with my old system. I just got the new one to be 100% sure that was not what was causing these problems. Likewise the video card works fine with the old system (and with the new as far as I can tell)

I can't check anything in the bios listings (if I understand you correctly) because I can't access the bios menu at all, as I mentioned.

5. Palok

Palok Thread Starter

Hi ajkane, I have not tried a bios update yet. I would like to have a better diagnosis of the problem before I take that step, since last time when I tried to clear the CMOS it ended up being a dead end.

I do have a Rev. 3 board, at least that's what's printed on the motherboard.

Why would a brand new motherboard need a bios update, though? Shouldn't it ship with a working bios system? What am I missing here?

Can you (or anyone) think of what might be causing my problems? What other possible actions can I take?

6. dai

dai

the epower is straight up junk

rosewill is not a recommended brand but should run it

cmos reset
    turn the computer off
    remove the power lead from the back
    take the side off
    remove the cmos battery
    move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
    reinsert the battery
    put the side on
    replug in the power lead
    boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
    2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
    a cmos clear switch or button
    there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

set it up out of the case on a piece of cardboard with
    cpu
    video
    ram
    speaker
    and see if you get post
    check you have the correct amount of standoffs no more no less
    that they line up with the holes in the m/board
    usually 9

you need it successfully posting before trying a bios update if needed

7. Palok

Palok Thread Starter

That may be but doesn't seem relevant, unless you think the power supply(s) might be responsible for the system not displaying the bios setup menu. If you do think so, can you explain how that could be possible? Given that the system posts and boots with the current power supply, why wouldn't it show the bios setup menu if the motherboard is good?

Like I mentioned, I'm hesitant to do this because when I did it previously (with identical hardware), it broke the system. So I'll try it as a last resort, of course, but I'd rather exhaust any other possible courses of action first.

8. dai

dai

i was under the impression that the system did not boot

when you cannot see the post screens it usually means it is not posting

what connections have you connected to the monitor

if you connect hdmi and dvi plugs it causes the problem you have

9. Palok

Palok Thread Starter

No, like I mentioned, it is booting, just not showing me the bios setup menu.

It's not the monitor, I'm only using one attached to HDMI.

10. dai

dai

cmos reset should not cause any problem if the instructions are followed and there is no power to the computer plugged in and the battery removed

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It may also be a compatibility issue between the graphics system(graphics card and/or monitor) and the new motherboard. Is if possible to try a monitor that connects with VGA instead of HDMI? Also is it possible to try another video card?

BIOS updates are released by manufacturers after they release a motherboard to add features, to support new hardware, or to fix bugs. The manufacturer cannot test or anticipate every possible combination of hardware and such problems can occur, in some cases a BIOS update can fix such issues.

On a Gigabyte board you can use the @BIOS utility from the disc or from the Gigabyte website to update the BIOS right from Windows.

Gigabyte downloads: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3908#dl

Clearing the CMOS correctly should never kill a board, if it does then either there was already a serious problem with the motherboard or it was done incorrectly.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That board has a single ps2 connector at the back for either a mouse or keyboard. Are you using a usb keyboard or a ps2 keyboard?

Have you tried to access the bios with just the keyboard and video connected ie ALL drives disconnected?

13. Palok

Palok Thread Starter

Triple6, I must admit I was skeptical, since the hdmi output was working when the OS booted...but I tried using a vga monitor rather than my hdmi one...and you were exactly right!!! Now I see the gigabyte splash screen and can access the bios setup menu! The menu is gui/graphical, and presumably it just doesn't support hdmi, or possibly just not for my video card. In any case, it's a pretty outrageous bug--Gigabyte really NEEDS to have a warning/option in VGA mode to the effect that the bios setup gui may not work with hdmi, or with some cards...pretty much ANYTHING rather than just silently fail. I wasted over a month on this, RMAing both the motherboard and CPU.

Thank you so much Triple6. And thanks to the other people who chipped in advise as well.

Hopefully this thread may help someone else with a similar problem in the future.

I'm not out of the woods yet; usb and networking still aren't working. Maybe I'll start a new thread for that if I can't figure it out. But at least I can fool around with the bios setup now. Thanks again for the help.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It may be a "one-off" situation between that exact motherboard and that exact graphics card.

I'm glad the advice helped though (y)

15. ajkane

ajkane

A bios update might fix that XD

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice