Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: cannot access c drive

58K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  mad-martin 
#1 ·
hiya guys, and gals...

just like that I cant access my c drive anymore and I have serious issues if I try to run/change/install anything, I am the only user on the laptop (2 mnts old) and obviously I have admin rights

I run Vista pre installed on my Dell Inspirion 6400

It seems to be an issue with admin rights, I created a new user, also with admin rights and the same issues occur...

anyone got any ideas?

#3 ·
I can open notepad, but if i try to save to c:\ i get the access denied message
I deleted the extra user acount that I created earlier, since the results were the same for both accounts.
I can also access my documents, but if i try to move/backup i dont seem to have the rights...
:)

#7 ·
right click on the c drive, go to properties and then click the security tab. you'll have to click the advanced button and then edit a couple times but see if you can take control of it again.

#8 ·
Maybe try turning on the "Real" administrator account..click on start, type run, then gpedit.msc. Once in group policy editor click on computer configuration, windows settings, security settings, local policies and then security options. Know double click on the top line (Administrator Account Status), then enable...This gives you the proper built in administrator account...hopefully, full access :up:

#10 ·
Jackiefrost9 said:
right click on the c drive, go to properties and then click the security tab. you'll have to click the advanced button and then edit a couple times but see if you can take control of it again.
"To continue, you must be an administrative user with permission to view this object's security properties"

#11 ·
Jackiefrost9 said:
"To continue, you must be an administrative user with permission to view this object's security properties.
Do you want to continue?"

Of course I want that...

"Can't open access control editor. Access is denied"

Gonna try that in save mode now...

to be continued...

#12 ·
chrisbones00 said:
Maybe try turning on the "Real" administrator account..click on start, type run, then gpedit.msc. Once in group policy editor click on computer configuration, windows settings, security settings, local policies and then security options. Know double click on the top line (Administrator Account Status), then enable...This gives you the proper built in administrator account...hopefully, full access :up:
"Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again"

#15 ·
yeah that was the first thing i did.

does anyone know if you have the option to check files as in XP, and what is the command?
nevermind, don't have the right to run that either...

in cmd it shows the user in 'users' C:\Users\Maddie>
whilst in user accounts it says Administrator...

#16 ·
Just like with XP, not all versions of Vista have a group policy editor.

If you are getting Access Denied errors when trying to open folders like Documents and Settings, Application Data, Local settings:

1. Right click on the Folder
2. Select Properties
3. Click on the Security tab
4. Click on the Advanced button
5. Click on the Owner tab
6. Click on the Edit button
7. In the Change owner to box, highlight your account
8. Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
9. Click on Apply
10. Click on Yes to replace all permissions
11. Continue to click on OK until you

#17 ·
The problem is that I cannot access any folder, but lets try this with root

Object name: C:\

To continue, you must be an administrative user with permission to view this object's security properties.

Do you want to continue? (ofcouse we want to continue...)

"windows security message"
Can't open access control editor. Access is denied.

#19 ·
It sounds like the default permissions somehow got mixed up. You can fix this with the icacls command but this may not be what you want to do. Vista has a very complicated setup for default NTFS permissions that is very hard to duplicate. For the root of C:\ the Administrators group should have full control but you don't want to propagate this throughout the whole tree structure. Right click on Command Prompt and pick Run as adminstrtator. Type in the following commands.

C:
CD \
ICACLS C:\ /GRANT Administrators:F

This will grant the administrators group full control for c:\. It will not propagate this thoughout the whole partition.

#21 ·
guess what...

format complete...

all sorted, still unhappy though

DELL want to charge for support regarding software if over 30 days (35 days old, my luck)
and M$ doesnt want to support without pay

what can i say, I'm disgusted....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.