1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cannot Access Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jomary08, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jomary08

jomary08 Thread Starter

My compaq desktop was working fine, until I attempted to install Samsung Sync Master 170N As soon as I downloaded the drivers for monitor, my screen went black.. Hooked up original monitor...same problem...I cannot access my hard drive...tried boot up disks...restore etc.....nothing....monitor does not even "flicker". When I turn on the computer it sounds like it is trying to "boot" runs for a minute or two and then shuts itself off... Any way of getting files off hard drive if this problem cannot be corrected??? Thanks...

2. dai

dai

press f8 when booting up and see if it will go into vga mode

3. jomary08

jomary08 Thread Starter

Thanks, I had tried that too...no luck

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Be sure when you were changing monitors around that you didn't bump the video card loose. You did turn the computer OFF before switching monitors around, correct?

5. jomary08

jomary08 Thread Starter

Yes, computer was turned off...Doesn't seem to be any signal at all going to monitor from computer

6. ~Candy~

And is it an add in video card? Or onboard? If add in, reseat it.

7. jomary08

jomary08 Thread Starter

Thanks...that did the trick...I took card out completely and reinstalled, and I'm up and
    running...thanks to all for the suggestions.....!!!

8. ~Candy~

Great, glad to have helped. Sometimes the card doesn't get screwed into the bay tight enough and connecting and disconnecting monitors is enough to pull it loose a bit ;)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/234758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice