1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot access network shares

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Curly, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

I cannot access network shares on my Vista Ultimate machine.

I provide the location. \\[computer name]\c$ It requests a user name and password, so I provide it with correct administrator credentials. But the Vista machine rejects it.

What am I missing? It must be one of the new quirky differences with Vista. But what?

Thanks.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Enable the Administrator account and try again. If that does not work, check your permissions.

3. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

The account is enabled.

Which permissions? By default, drives can be accessed on XP machines using the syntax I provided above. Is there a difference with Vista? If so, which permissions and how must they be set? Can you elaborate?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you remove the Requirement of using a password on the Vista machine in "Network and sharing"?

5. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

I just tried that, but I still cannot access.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What folders on the Vista machine are you trying to access?
    Give us the FULL path.

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Okay here is your problem. In XP, the C:\ drive is shared out for administrative purposes by default. In Vista, it is not. Right click on your C:\ drive, click on the sharing tab, pick a share name and check your permissions. Then try to access it.

8. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

I'm trying to access the C drive.

9. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

So, are you trying to say that C$ is not valid, even though Vista says that the share name already exists when I try to specify it in "Advanced Sharing"? I must specify a different name for the entire drive?

10. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Hrrmmm....try a different share name and see if that works.

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    The C$ is for machine access only. It has been this way since Windows 98 if not before.
    You need to define a "User" share, whether it is the at the Root of the drive or just a folder, one MUST be defined.

12. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    The $ just makes the share name invisible when browsing the network. I know that in XP, you could access that share as long as you had the right credentials.

13. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

That is correct. \\[computer name]\c$ does work in XP, and it cannot be disabled.

I can access the drive if I specify a different share name, which I expected. But I don't want the share to be visible, so I want to use this method for Vista -- and I don't want to specify an entirely new name for the whole drive when a share already exists. Doesn't make any sense that the name C$ is reserved if it can't be used -- especially when it asks for a user name and password. Instead, it makes more sense give the generic error when an incorrect share name is given, which is:

Why does it ask for a user name and password if the share is not accessible?

Very strange.

Nonetheless, thanks for the partipation! :)

14. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Do you have password protected sharing turned off on the Vista machine? Make sure both computers are on the same subnet and members of the same workgroup. Also, since you enabled your Administrator account, give it a password too. Do you have the same usernames and passwords on each computer?

15. Curly

Curly Thread Starter

Yes, I tried it with password protected sharing off; It still doesn't work.

All machines are on the same workgroup and the same subnet. And all have the same user account names and passwords. But that shouldn't matter because the Vista machine requests one of its user names and password; I provide the only active administrator credentials.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!