1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot access Office excel 97-2003 .xls files after opening in Office Excel S

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by goldiegal, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goldiegal

goldiegal Thread Starter

Hello. I have some .xls files on a cd which I could open fine until yesterday. The files were created on my Acer Aspire 5732Z (Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium system x64 - based pc) using Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003.

Yesterday, I opened the cd on a different laptop (Acer Aspire 5733 64 bit operating system - windows 7 home premium, service pack 1). This laptop opened the files using Microsoft Excel starter 2010. I saved the files back to my cd when I'd finished, then safely ejected the CD using the correct method.

Now when I insert the CD into either pc, it show the CD drive but there are no visible files, so I can't open anything. I tried the error checking tool, but it can't check for errors as it says "windows cannot access the disk".

Can anyone help me open the files please? I have all the files backed up elsewhere, except for the two I worked on yesterday, but I really don't want to have to type them up again unless I absolutely have to as it will take me many hours. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. pip22

pip22

Sometimes a simple rebooting of the PC will cure this.

3. goldiegal

goldiegal Thread Starter

That doesn't fix the problem, but thanks anyway. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the different Excel versions. Perhaps I should have checked for updates to excel or installed a service pack or something like that? I thought you should just be able to go from one version to another without any problem?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

This happens all the time when you use a CD with packet writing software. If you need to edit and share files on multiple computers, get a flash drive.

5. goldiegal

goldiegal Thread Starter

My uncle has opened the cd on his old pc running on windows xp and we've now copied them to a flash drive. Thanks all.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice