1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Cannot Access Pogo Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ujant, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ujant

Ujant Thread Starter

When I try to play pogo games, I get the following message:
    "Internet Explorer was unable to link to the web page you requested. The page may be temporarily unavailable." This has been going on for over 24 hours now. I had this same problem about a month ago and it went away when I reinstalled Internet Explorer, but even that won't work this time.
    Please help me. Suffering from withdrawal!!

2. glory_ninja

glory_ninja

try monzilla fire fox browser

3. Ujant

Ujant Thread Starter

Downloaded Mozilla Firefox as suggested. Got one screen further, to the load screen. Now says "Loading game. Please wait........" Won't go any further.

4. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Just for the heck of it I went to the site and had no trouble logging in. What I can tell you from experience is "sometimes" you won't be able do get in because of pop-up or ad blockers enabled. Did you change anything in that area?
    Just :confused: wondering. Another thing if I remember you may have to delete cache / cookies etc for it to work. I haven't read that area of Pogo's site but you may want to just to make sure. There is some sort of babble there.

5. Ujant

Ujant Thread Starter

I disabled my Norton ad blocker AFTER I encountered this problem. I would love to delete the cache, but I don't know how. Not very computer literate. Can you tell me how? Where did you see the babble?

6. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Go to the top of your browser and select "Tools", then "Internet Options".
    Then click on the following buttons one at a time...
    - Delete Cookies
    - Delete Files
    - Clear History.........Then click on "Apply" if it is hi-lited ". ( OK if not hi-lited ). Then click "OK". Then reboot your computer and try Pogo.

I took a quick look for the babble and couldn't find it ??????

7. Ujant

Ujant Thread Starter

Thanks, Wimpy, for the latest instructions. I deleted Cookies, deleted Files, and Cleared History. No help. Any other ideas? I also re-downloaded Internet Explorer. Someone from AOL told me my java definitions needed to be updated. If you think that could help, could you tell me how to do it?

8. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

If you go onto Pogo.com, then to the 'Help' section, click on 'Pogo Answers'...

On the first page, I believe it's #2 and #4, it shows you how to upgrade your Java (y)

9. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Thats wierd cuz Inever had to update Java and I'm running IE and Firefox. It works on both. Take a look at Cheeseballs post re: Pogo help and see if that does any good.

10. Ujant

Ujant Thread Starter

OK, I upgraded java. I still get the same Action Cancelled message. I'm going nuts here. HELP.

11. Cheeseball81

Wimpy, do you think it's the HOSTS file? Maybe they should use the toggle method and rename the HOSTS file?

12. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Have no idea.

Did you do what Cheeseball suggested in his post?

13. Ujant

Ujant Thread Starter

Yes, I updated java just as Cheeseball suggested.

14. Cheeseball81

I read about this. Wonder if it's worth trying?

The "Action Cancelled" message is usually generated when entries in the
    users HOSTS file are preventing access from one or more servers designated
    in the web page. In most cases this occurs from 3rd party ad servers such as
    "doubleclick", where the "Action Cancelled" message replaces an [example] ad
    banner in the viewing page.

In other cases the message is displayed when a user clicks a link in a page
    that routes them thru a tracking service, or attempts to connect to a listed
    hijacker, parasite, etc. and this culprit is listed as an entry in the HOSTS
    file.

The simplest method is to have the user rename the HOSTS file (to NOHOSTS) and try again. If renaming allows access, then the user needs to address the cause. Either an incorrect entry or there is a legitimate reason the HOSTS entry exists. (hijacker, trojan, dialer, etc.)

To rename the HOSTS file, download: "RenHosts.bat"
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

15. Cheeseball81

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice