1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot access Safe Mode nor see my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brainwave89, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainwave89

brainwave89 Thread Starter

I have a non-branded box running Windows XP Home Edition. After un-installing Netgear USB Adapter software and restarting the computer I received a BSOD with a Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area. After this I was able to access Safe Mode w/o any problems.

No big deal. After I backed-up all of my information (it wasn't much) I inserted my XP Disc but it stated that no hard disks could be found. I started Windows XP setup while in Safe Mode. It eventually failed. Now I cannot access Safe Mode because each time I do I receive the following error. Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now.

Now each time I restart the computer I eventually receive the following notice Setup is being restarted.... which then fails and leads to the BSOD screen.

Ok, I realized I have a Promise MBFasttrack 133 Raid controller and downloaded the controller driver to a USB drive. Since the box has a floppy drive my hope was to access safe mode and copy that information to the floppy. But since I cannot access Safe Mode this is not possible.

Each time I boot from the XP disc and press F6 to install the needed driver it goes straight to the A: drive.

I have no problem re-installing the OS but how can I get to the point that the XP disc recognizes the hard drive? Many thanks for looking.

Solved: Placed the controller drivers onto a flash drive, booted the computer using UBCD. Copied the controller files onto the floppy drive. Pressed F6 while the XP disc was booting. Installed the controller files and now XP is installing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!