1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot access the internet on laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zoom641, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoom641

zoom641 Thread Starter

I have a pc that is hard wired to a linksys dsl router then to a linksys wireless access point. I then have a laptop with with a netgear card in it.
    when I try to access the internet it don't work.
    I work with verizon dsl, then linksys. They had me change alot of settings around, including moving cable on the access point to terminal 4. I also put in a key code. before they had me do all that I had the icon on the bottom telling me there was good signal strength. now it says no connection?
    They left it at, call netgear there might a conflict with xp. only use the drivers not the software. Use xp software. I'm coming in on this 3rd hand.
    are there any step by step checks I can take to set this up. or can anyone help me out? because I think they are leading me in the wrong direction.
    And I didn't mention the hardwired gets the Internet fine.
    thank you for any help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Quite an unusual network configuration. Could you share with us why you have the Access Point connected to the PC? Seems like it would be somewhat simpler to have the Access Point connected to the router; would at least eliminate the need for ICS.

Probably a minor point but I firmly disagree with the advice to use Windows' WZC instead of Netgear's utility. I use Netgear's utility with a USB wireless adaptor and with a PCMCIA card. My advice in that area is to get the latest Netgear driver and utility and stick with it.

To start sorting this out, please give us the IP addresses of the router, the PC's connection to router, the PC's connection to Access Point, the Access Point and the laptop. And indicate any that are static.

Oh, and until you get the network to your satisfaction, turn off encryption, disable Windows XP firewall, and uninstall any 3rd party firewalls.

3. zoom641

zoom641 Thread Starter

Thank you for responding to my problem.
    The setup is, first dsl router. The pc is hard wired to it. The access point was moved from the uplink port to #4. They (linksys) told me that was where it belonged. I thought afterwords that maybe after moving that cable I had to unplug the router. that didn't work. So I tried resetting the access point. That didn't work.
    I did call netgear and they also agreed with you. They had me go to setup on the netgear card and scan. and I picked up 2 signals 1 linksys and mine.
    The linksys signal was weak but worked, mine didn't. That signal must have been a neighbor.
    Then I remembered what I did. When I reset the router it went back to default. I looked at it and there was no pass code and it was on channel 6.
    They had me change it to 11. So I put the code back in, put it on channel 11,
    scanned the netgear car card clicked on mine and it worked. I'm not really sure exactly where the problems were, but I got it working, and it was a learning experience. again thanks for responding and if you have any more advise ill be watching.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/377283

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice