Solved: Cannot add any new accelerators in IE8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bearspa

I'm using Xp Pro, and IE8. I cannot seem to add any accelerators. I go to
the "Add-ons Gallery: Accelerators" page, and click on the "Add to Internet
Explorer" button, and nothing happens. I have tried it with several
accelerators, and have tried going to the page that describes the specific accelerator
and clicking on the "Add to Internet Explorer" button.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Try turning off protected mode, see if they will download, if they do, be sure to turn PM back on

Internet Options.Security Tab

Bearspa

Hi Mumbodog:

Thanks for your response.

I tried to do what you had suggested, but could not find any references to protected mode under the Security tab--where is this available in XP? Following up on your idea, I did make the page a Trusted Site, and temporarily set the protection to Low, but no joy.

Bearspa

While searching for protected mode as per Mumbodog's suggestion, I came across suggestions to reinstall IE8 to solve other similar problems, which I did by running "rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf". Took a while, and had a few nerve-wracking moments, but now it seems that I can add accelerators. I guess it must have reset some "switches" that allow this.

Things seem a bit slower, but at least the accelerators work.

Thought I'd report this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts