1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cannot add printer local port

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by st4lker, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. st4lker

st4lker Thread Starter

Hi,

I can't able to add the local port in Add Printer Wizard. It always shows that "Specified port cannot be added. Operation could not be completed". I've been spending more than 3 hours to find out the solution on the net. But yet the answer is nowhere to find. Can someone help me pls? I would really appreciate for all the suggestion and guidance!
    Thx

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It would be helpful if you were to give us the spec's of the printer that you are trying to install?

3. st4lker

st4lker Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

The printer is Epson LQ-300+II Dot Matrix Printer attached to the PC via parallel port and have shared on the network.
    I have checked the spooler service and restarted it several times but no luck.
    Here is the story, the PC attached to the printer is installed Win7 and shared this printer (Epson LQ-300+II) on the network. I can able to connect this printer by using Add Printer Wizard and added the local port from 1 of my users who has WinXP installed. But another user who has installed WinXP can't able to add the local port when i went thru same procedure. The error says that "Specified port cannot be added. Operation could not be completed." Then I logged in as the local admin account and tried to add it again. Yet the result is the same error.

One more thing, I can able to see that printer on that PC if I go thru by \\pcname\sharedprintername. I really don't know what could be the problem. I disabled the windows firewall and Kaspersky firewall as well to make sure firewall is not blocking. Can help provide another steps to troubleshoot?

Thx :)

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Since you can see the printer across the network, try and right click the printer entry and select "Connect".

Windows Vista and on like to have common user accounts and passwords on all shared machines. There are ways of getting around this, but I have a lot less issues by doing this.

Also note Vista and on, have sharing issues with XP, including printers, the common accounts and passwords eliminate a lot of these issues.

5. st4lker

st4lker Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice. But I already tried that way before your advice. It will only connect via LPT port but not local port \\pcname\shareprinter. That's why I tried to add the local port manually but it's failed. Actually it doesn't make sense that I can able to connect that printer from 1 of the XP machine while this XP PC can't.
    Thx :)

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    What about your firewall settings, is the issue machine being blocked in any manner?

7. st4lker

st4lker Thread Starter

Hi Dave,

I have disabled the both of firewall (Windows & Kaspersky) but still the same.
    But good news is here, I managed to tweak in the registry to add the local port.
    Viola, the local port is appeared in the port list. :D
    Below is the steps I have done to resolve this issue;
    Go to registry & add the string value follow by \\pcname\printername
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports

Thanks for all of your advices & suggestions.

8. dai

dai

you should only be running one firewall,running more than one can cause problems

9. st4lker

st4lker Thread Starter

Yap. I will take note of it. So next time I won't be run into this kind of problem anymore.
    Thanks!

10. dai

dai

glad you have it sorted

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!