1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot Boot From CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SBFlyFan, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBFlyFan

SBFlyFan Thread Starter

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2716

Had a malware issue and posted on a different site for help. Was told to run ComboFix.

ComboFix installed the Recovery Console, and after it was done rebooting, I have no taskbar, start menu, internet access, sound, etc. I can't copy and paste files, or drag files from one location to another, and my Windows theme is set to Classic.

System Restore no longer works.

At this point, I don't care about fixing the problem. I backed up my data and want to do a factory reset using the Toshiba CD I have. I put it in and set it to restore to factory settings (I've done this in the past) and it says my computer will reboot. When it reboots, it should boot from the CD.

This doesn't happen. Since the Recovery Console was installed, it throws me to a 2-second screen that gives me the option of starting a debugger, Recovery Console or Windows XP Professional.

Tried changing the boot order in my BIOS.

Also tried manually selecting CD as a one-time boot from a menu Toshiba gives you upon turning on the computer.

Every time it shoots me back to that 2-second screen and then straight into Windows.

How can I get around this and boot directly from the CD?

I tried removing Recovery Console manually the way Microsoft suggests, but I can't delete the Cmdcons folder. It says it's in use.

Thanks for your help.

2. SBFlyFan

SBFlyFan Thread Starter

3. snowbal

snowbal

make sure you are in the cd/dvd and it in the first line up in bois when computre come on, than put disc in and turn off computre and than turn it back on, when comming on hold the "C" until it beeps,than let go and follow instruction., toshiba recovery will reinstalled it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!