1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot connect to internet w/ Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Automag389, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Automag389

Automag389 Thread Starter

So I just finished installing Vista and the basics look fine in the way of aesthetics and functionality, however I've come across a major problem: I can't access the internet, let alone install the drivers for my mobo (Biostar TForce6100-939) and subsequently the Ethernet controller. I tried using the Add Hardware function to install from one of the .INF files on the driver CD, but not only am I unsure of which .INF file to use, but none of them seem to install. Not to mention the devices listed under the Add Hardware utility don't seem to have anything to do with a chipset or Ethernet controller. Attempting to install any drivers from the autoplay function of the CD results in no drivers being displayed as compatible, so that's not an option. Exploring the CD and manually running setups doesn't work either, usually ending up having no effect or giving me a message stating that I'm not running a Windows OS. Am I doomed to find another mobo?

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

upgrade or clean install, homebuilt or store bought machine, was it working properly b4 vista?

3. Automag389

Clean install, though Vista allowed me to save all of the files I had in XP in a folder it created on my HD called "Windows.old." I'm running Vista from a home-built comp, all the parts came from Newegg. I was able to connect fine on XP.

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

vista is so new, yesterday, that i don't know if there's any compatibilty ck for hardware that worked in xp.

in my stuff, xpro installs everything hardware wise for the basics, sound, nic, video, etc but my son's dell desktop needs the drivers for the chipset, video, sound and nic and i install them from dell for his machine with a usb stick, not from autorun on the cd, it doesn't know which inf.

i never overlay but remove/create/format ntfs and reinstall apps afterward.

5. Automag389

Yes, I know how XP automatically detects many of the devices in the comp upon first boot-up, but that hasn't happened with Vista. I have all the drivers I need, but it doesn't look like Vista will accept the chipset drivers. I've checked the Biostar website for any Vista-friendly drivers, but although they sell some Vista-specific mobo's it doesn't look like they have any drivers updated for Vista.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

uncle bill does it again.

no, not all xp configs will load necessary drivers, i just mentioned that.

this is why i'm not the 1st to get on the new bus coming down the street.

try a usb stick for the drivers.

7. Automag389

I don't have a USB stick at the moment. What exactly would be the difference between the stick and a CD?

8. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

put the required drivers on the stick instead of trying to use autorun on the cd.

click on the driver file to install

9. Automag389

I can give this a try tomorrow afternoon, but what would the stick do differently than the CD?

10. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you only have the appropriate drivers on the stick instead hunting around the cd.
    chipset, video, nic, sound are generally what's needed for the items to work.

if vista worked like xp, new hardware is picked up and it has enuff drivers for most xp compatible hardware within xp/cd and it's picked up from the cd as needed/installed.

11. Automag389

There's the problem, though, whenever I try to install the drivers Vista tells me they're not compatible with the OS. I did get Vista to actually recognize my Ethernet controller, but it says that it can't "load the drivers necessary for the device," which I'm assuming is because the chipset drivers refuse to install on Vista, whether I start them from the setup.exe or use th Add Hardware wizard to point right to the .INF files.

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's only the Ethernet controller that's causing the issue, disable it in the BIOS and stick in a PCI NIC.

13. Automag389

If I had one I would, John, but it's also not just the Ethernet controller. Vista won't accept the chipset driver either. It did install the audio driver, but I'm almost always getting messages stating that my audio driver wasn't compatible with Vista.

14. techy689

techy689

I used Windows Update to find all my drivers.

But since you dont have any online connection, thats really hard for you....

What is the model name/number for this nic? (Biostar TForce6100-939?)

Ill search the web.

15. Automag389

It's a Realtek RTL8201BL 10/100, according to the Biostar website.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice