1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot connect to specific server on Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bperiod, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bperiod

bperiod Thread Starter

Very weird issue I cannot figure out. My laptop can connect to the network, the internet, and all other mapped drives/servers. For some reason my laptop will not connect to 1 specific server. I've tried by server name, IP address, I can ping it...everyone around can connect to this server. I've removed and added myself back on to the network...it's driving me crazy. Any ideas?

Thx in advance for any suggestions. :eek:

2. Curly

Curly

Do you have an account on that server with proper permissions to access whatever you are attempting to access?

3. bperiod

bperiod Thread Starter

Yes, and it's not a specific directory I'm trying to connect at this point. I get the pop up saying no server exists, basically it doesn't even see it.

4. Curly

Curly

Then my best guess at this point is a firewall. But it still could be permission issues.

How are you trying to connect to the server? What are you trying to do? Can you explain what you mean by basically it doesn't even see it? That sounds like it does see the server in some ways. What ways?

5. bperiod

bperiod Thread Starter

Got it resolved, but still can't figure out what exactly the issue was. I switched the port the ethernet was plugged into and all of a sudden I could get to the server in question..really weird.

Thank you attempting to help me out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/853725

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice