1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Cannot Copy from Win98SE to WinNT 40??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by NiteNow, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NiteNow

NiteNow Thread Starter

I just upgraded one of my computers to WinNT4.0 with 100 GB HD (western digital), Aopen AX59Pro MainBoard, 128 MB DRAM.

Ive also got an identical computer using win98SE with one 3 gb system disk and one 60 gb hd, only with 64 MB Ram (sim).

I started to copy the content of the 60 gb on the win98 pc to the 100 gb on the winnt machine, but after 3-4 gb it came up with a "cannot read source disk" error?

The content consists mainly of mp3, nfo, html and playlist files....and the weird thing is that it copies/moves html and playlist files, but all other files comes up with the error....all files open fine locally...???

If I try to copy it using the ntserver it just say "filesystem invalid" or something.....but the filesystem should be hidden by the shares??....... :(

Ive also tried to run scandisk for windows, but it cant find no errors....

Well, if anyone can help me, or explain whats going on it would be greatly apretiated! :)

2. B3gbie

B3gbie

Not sure whats going on but it may be to do with nt using ntfs and 98 using fat32, perhaps the file systems arent interacting properly- as you say though, the shares shouldnt work either in that case. If you do believe this to be a possible reason partition magic will convert the win 98 drive to ntfs, then you can do the copy, then convert the drive back. Microsoft said this couldnt be done but partitionmagic will do it. Ask other people first though, cos i'm not sure this is the problem. Are you copying over a lan or with the HDD's installed in one machine. Over a lan it could be a whole load of other factors.

3. NiteNow

NiteNow Thread Starter

Thanx for answering! :)

Im copying the files through a lan, and get the two error messages mentioned depending on wich machineI start the copy from.

I have come up with one suspect.... I installed a prog on the NT server to enable it to read fat32 partitions. This was a trial version wich alowed read only of fat32, and im wondering if this program somehow detects the fat32 system on the win98 pc even through the shares....this could be why it says that the filesystem is invalid when i try to get the files from the nt....and cannot read source disk from 98, so Ill try uninstalling it as soon as I get home!

Ill post again, and maybe you could give me somewhere to start considering errors with the lan if it doesnt work? :)

NiteNow

UPDATED: Solved, it was that stupid little program making the problem. Uninstall & Reboot solved it, should have thought of it before I guess.....but..... :)

4. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for the update. I will make this thread solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice