1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cannot delete file: It is being used by another person or program

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ever, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ever

Ever Thread Starter

Hi all,

I received this error message when i was trying to delete a *.csv file. I can delete the file after reboot. But the issue is, is there a way i can trace the process which had locked the file. Need to find out to process. Is there a way. Pls help. Help is appreciated.tq.

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Try understanding it from the location of the file as a possible pointer to exactly which program is producing the file.

The file's date and time can also help if you know which programs you were running when the file was written.

There are too many programs that use *.CSV files.

Process Explorer may also help:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx

Zee

3. Ever

Ever Thread Starter

Thanks for the Process Explorer, Zee.Appreciated. Btw, i have implemented a client/server s/ware in my client's file server. My s/ware produces the *.CSV file. The file server cannot be restarted often because it is a production server. Therefore i need a tool to trace the application which uses and locks the file. By this i can kill the particular process of trace any process leakage from my s/ware.TQ.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Unlocker should tell you what process is locking the file.

OpenedFilesView will show you all files open on your system and what process is accessing them.

5. Ever

Ever Thread Starter

Thanks alot elvandil. Your help was appreciated. I used the unlocker and it has really solved the problem, i could trace the process that has been locking the file. Tried unlockme, it was unable to trace a dll process. Unloacker is really a good program, and futhermore it is free. Thanks to all guys for helping me.

6. DudeeHole

DudeeHole

Can someone please post a link for the unlockme program mentioned above? Thanx

7. X H3LP M3 X

X H3LP M3 X

Hey this happened to me once. This is what a did.... You make a shortcut ro recycle bin and place the file in there then empty the recycle bin shortcut then delete the shourtcut.... that should work. Hope it helps

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice